Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Polishing Magazines?

I just recently got into the 2011 world and have been trying to figure out the best way to smooth and polish the inside of my magazines. Especially since I ordered a "new" tube and it has spot rust inside of it. So far I have 4 ideas, lets see if anyone has used this and if they work.

Idea 1: Buy a flex shaft for my dremel tool and use a wire brush and then a cotton wheel with rouge. I am not sure if the flex attachment would reach the entirety of the magazine, so that is my main concern. I also would have to buy one.

Idea 2: Find a wire brush attachment I could put in my drill press and run down into the magazine while it's in a vise. I haven't really looked for these attachments, but I am sure they are out there.

Idea 3: Use a dowel and flat bar wrapped in a high grit sandpaper to smooth down by hand and finish using a cloth rag with some polish... maybe mothers mag polish? Probably the slowest with most work system.

Idea 4: Buy stainless steel pins and put them in my vibratory tumbler and put a mag in.

what are you guys using? Feel free to throw out new ideas. Thanks.

Old M16 cleaning rod with the slotted tip and a scotch green pad in the slot. Put it in a drill and let the pad flap around in there. Change to cloth in the tip with some polishing compound and the same with wax

Old M16 cleaning rod with the slotted tip and a scotch green pad in the slot. Put it in a drill and let the pad flap around in there. Change to cloth in the tip with some polishing compound and the same with wax

Sounds cheap and easy. I don't have a M16 rod, but I have some old rods from cleaning kits I can use. Thanks sarge, I will give it a try!

Take apart the mags, and put the tubes in your brass tumbler with a little extra brass polish. They come out clean and shiney, and no sweat on your part.

Many prefer polished as much as possible for reliability and looks. Tumbling don't come close to a good polish job

• 4 weeks later...

I used a cut down shotgun cleaning rod and a 12 gauge mop. I loaded up the mop with JB bore cleaner and chucked the rod into my drill. Inside of the mag was nice and shiny after a couple of minutes.

Flat file with sandpaper to remove any rough edges. long 1/8 drill rod with a piece of terry cloth taped to it.

Used in Dremel with white polishing compound then Simichrome on a clean piece of terry cloth cleans the

inside. Polished with a wheel and white compound on the outside.

If just cleaning toss them in the tumbler with a little auto polish. I bought Turtle brand but any auto polish

should work. Auto polish also works very good on brass.