Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to clean dirty comp

brytec

And in future to keep it easier to clean, spray the inside before you shoot it with case lube like Dillon, Frankfort Arsenal or Mid South. They contain nothing but alcohol and lanolin and will keep the fouling soft enough to clean out with a cotton swab and bore solvent of your choice.

Edited by Alan550

My comp has red duracoat, would it ruin the finish if I used the venigar/peroxide combo? Thanks again for everyone's input, appreciate it !

My guess is it will remove the dura coat. I used it to remove melonite from a barrel.

in that case give it a blast with brake cleaner and/or some hoppes bore cleaner. then use one of these https://www.arredondoaccessories.com/category.cfm?cid=1006,2027&PID=fc25l4901nhgbq&gid=(or a screw driver) to scrape it out.

the arredondo tool is kind of a rip off but I find it is the correct tool for the job so I'm happy with it. a small screw driver is probably 90% as good though.

once clean I spray my comp with hornady one shot dry lube (NOT one shot case lube). it seems to help making it easier to clean next time.

in that case give it a blast with brake cleaner and/or some hoppes bore cleaner. then use one of these https://www.arredondoaccessories.com/category.cfm?cid=1006,2027&PID=fc25l4901nhgbq&gid=(or a screw driver) to scrape it out.

the arredondo tool is kind of a rip off but I find it is the correct tool for the job so I'm happy with it. a small screw driver is probably 90% as good though.

once clean I spray my comp with hornady one shot dry lube (NOT one shot case lube). it seems to help making it easier to clean next time.

I used to let Hoppe's #9 sit in the chambers over night but it would dry out. Removed most of the carbon but i had to finish it off with a dremel and polishing wheel. Got me a new bottle of Hoppe's #9 and I literally just dropped the barrel/comp in it over night. Next morning the carbon pretty much felt off and the rest came off with a Q-Tip.