Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which firing pin?

The Henning pin has worked well for me with the light Xtreme springs and federal primers. Haven't tried the EG pin, but I would probably try it if I were shooting IPSC.

I just ditched my henning gen IV and went back to factory. I've been able to run the hammer spring with one less coil by using the heavier factory FP (federal primers that is). I have a number of CZ's and every time I take my tanfo apart I wonder why they heck the FP spring is so dang long. If the CZ can use a small spring then why cant the tanfo? So I'm currently running an experiment by cutting the wolf FP spring so that there are 3 coils past the end of the FP and I cut an extra coil off the 13lb wolf hammer spring. Also I took out the henning gen iv and put the factory back in as it weights more so it will hit the primer harder with less force.

so far so good. I hope to take it out to the range again this weekend and put a few hundred rounds through it.

Word of caution though... To my knowledge the gen 4 Henning pin, while very pretty and light, is not compatible with the firing pin block when using a 1 piece sear, for those shooting production. My suggestion is to buy his gen 3 pins. That is what I use and it has been perfect!

I had the gen 4 work with my extended fpb and one piece sear and also with a stock fpb and one piece sear. Guess i was just lucky.

I have seen you post that before, and I'm still kind of scratching my head on that. If you pull the hammer back and try to push the firing pin forward with a pen or punch it is stopped every time by the FPB? I'm not saying it doesn't, I just am very surprised that it does.

Sure does. The reason my 1 stock 2 has a extended fpb is because it was letting the pin passing sometimes with the factory. My 2nd stock 2 worked with the factory everytime.

Everytime I break down my guns to clean them I always check the function of the fpb.

I'm convinced that eaa just sucks at having consistent parts which is why some extractors have extraction issues and others run fine.

Just remembered, I had read that when first offered the extended FPB's were sold longer and intended to be fit to the FP. When Tanfo released their Xtreme guns that used the 1 piece sears and their xtreme fp, they changed the 'extended' fpb to the length that was needed for their setup, which ended up being a few thousandths shorter If I recall it went form something like 0.512" to .0508". But that was enough to make the difference. Was your extended fpb manufactured before the xtreme pistols were formally released? That could explain it all.

Word of caution though... To my knowledge the gen 4 Henning pin, while very pretty and light, is not compatible with the firing pin block when using a 1 piece sear, for those shooting production. My suggestion is to buy his gen 3 pins. That is what I use and it has been perfect!

Hmmn, the point of the gen 4 was to open the FPB channel, on the pin.

Seems like there are a lot of options... I wonder if they are all summarized in one place.

I took some pictures last night as I was messing around with one of my guns. These are all the ones I have:

Top to bottom: Stock, Henning of some kind, Eric Xtreme. I didn't put a mic on them, but even visually it is obvious that the stock one is shortest, Eric is in the middle, and Henning is longest. All three appear to be set up to work with the safety plunger, and of course I can confirm that the Eric one does as it is in one of my Production guns.

20160308_230228_001_zpsukvuryx4.jpg

Edited by ny32182

Just remembered, I had read that when first offered the extended FPB's were sold longer and intended to be fit to the FP. When Tanfo released their Xtreme guns that used the 1 piece sears and their xtreme fp, they changed the 'extended' fpb to the length that was needed for their setup, which ended up being a few thousandths shorter If I recall it went form something like 0.512" to .0508". But that was enough to make the difference. Was your extended fpb manufactured before the xtreme pistols were formally released? That could explain it all.

I don't know how to determine date of manufacture. But it was just purchased last month. I don't believe these sit around very long as they still seem hard to find. I am using the Henning gen 4 FP with factory (extreme) FPB. I tried that after I had misfires with the factory (extreme) FP. I can't say it's gotten any better or worse. Last night I shot 2 stages, about 70 shots and had one light strike. I don't even eject the round, just recock and bang. I'm up to the 15 lb hammer spring. I'm beginning to think I either have an intermittent issue with the FPB or a high primer. I do visually inspect, but these have been reloaded many times, it's possible. Not sure how I could check that.

It's been suggested I,could eliminate the FPB altogether for a couple hundred round test. Just to know if that's where I need to focus.

I don't know how to determine date of manufacture. But it was just purchased last month. I don't believe these sit around very long as they still seem hard to find. I am using the Henning gen 4 FP with factory (extreme) FPB. I tried that after I had misfires with the factory (extreme) FP. I can't say it's gotten any better or worse. Last night I shot 2 stages, about 70 shots and had one light strike. I don't even eject the round, just recock and bang. I'm up to the 15 lb hammer spring. I'm beginning to think I either have an intermittent issue with the FPB or a high primer. I do visually inspect, but these have been reloaded many times, it's possible. Not sure how I could check that.

It's been suggested I,could eliminate the FPB altogether for a couple hundred round test. Just to know if that's where I need to focus.

I can tell you it's 99.998% fpb issue. 13# should light off almost... almost anything w an extended pin. Do a pencil test.

I have a Henning on the way. Do I need a new fpb?

Most likely not. For every pin/fpb issue, there are thousands that run flawlessly. Or don't know about the enos' forum, to ask for help. Lol

I say install yours and if you run into light strikes, go from there. I'm sure I've beat the horse on this, but the tolerances are so vast gun to gun, sometimes you need to just trial and error it. I've smith'd sp01 (non shadows) that would run on a 8.5# and some that would barely light off anything with the 13#, until I opened up the channel where the firing pin rides. Usually, with the Henning G4 FP, you can polish up the fpb enough that it's reliable, or switch to using federal primers. Running a different fpb in the sii/iii is usually a hit or miss (in my experience).

I have a Henning on the way. Do I need a new fpb?

Most likely not. For every pin/fpb issue, there are thousands that run flawlessly. Or don't know about the enos' forum, to ask for help. Lol

I say install yours and if you run into light strikes, go from there. I'm sure I've beat the horse on this, but the tolerances are so vast gun to gun, sometimes you need to just trial and error it. I've smith'd sp01 (non shadows) that would run on a 8.5# and some that would barely light off anything with the 13#, until I opened up the channel where the firing pin rides. Usually, with the Henning G4 FP, you can polish up the fpb enough that it's reliable, or switch to using federal primers. Running a different fpb in the sii/iii is usually a hit or miss (in my experience).

I'm going to be using the EGD medium hammer and striker springs specifically over the light springs to avoid light strike issues.

I can tell you it's 99.998% fpb issue. 13# should light off almost... almost anything w an extended pin. Do a pencil test.

I did try the pencil test and I was quite surprised at the energy. It goes almost 2 feet clear of the barrel. Did it 20+ times and it was very consistent. Of course I'm only getting the misfire once in a while. I would note that looking at my spent brass (Winchester primers) that the dents are sharp and deep (I really don't think they're marginal strikes). So that leads me to think I either have a few primers not fully seated (though visually they inspect ok) or an intermittent hang up of the FP most likely).

I guess I can maybe run a couple hundred factory new rounds and see how that goes.i could remove the FPB and see how that goes.

May get some data points there. If it only happens once in 50 or 100 rds it's harder to chase down.