Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is Weaponshield really that much better than FP-10

JJP161

To the post above regarding KY...

We tried it once before a carbine match on an AR BCG. No bueno as you might imagine. Burns off too fast in a high-temp environment...

Weapon shield for the win, i swear by it now, i have converted, i used to use pro7 oil, but have found way less friction with WS and it stays slippery through a whole match! no more gummy oil caked rails. if you still are on the fence, go on you tube and watch his friction videos, then you will be transformed.

Hello: I use Mobil 1. 0W30 and 0W40 for winter and 20W50 for summer. A little Red Line assemble lube on the link and lower lugs. It works great on the Porsche air-cooled 911 engines I build and works very well on my open guns, limited guns and single stacks. I put the oil in old small oil cans. Thanks, Eric

• 1 month later...

I always wonder how much credence to put into the test he does. All the test show WS best all of current gun lubes on the market. I went through a bottle and did not find it much different than other oils.

I mean no disrespect to users of WS or the inventor but the results he shows on his videos are neither unique nor revolutionary. The test results are easily duplicated with other lower cost EP oils such as: Prolong, Fastex, Castrol Viscogen KL300, Castrol Moly Chain lube, Dupont Dry Film Lubricant, Dupont Chain Wax, Delta Lube and many, many others. He is showing a Timken OK load test which is an ASTM D2782 - Standard Test Method for Measurement of Extreme-Pressure Properties of Lubricating Fluids (Timken Method). The results can EASILY be fudged or skewed to make a lubricant "appear" that it is superior to other lubricants if the operator knows how, hmmmm. I manage a Tribology laboratory at a Fortune 100 Company so I have a little background (38 years) in this industry.

Does anyone actually know what the calculated loads are that exist on the load bearing surfaces of a firearm? I am not sure if an EP lubricant is even needed? It certainly won't hurt to use an EP lubricant but you may be paying for an additive package that's not even necessary.