Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ75 Shadow Custom Rear Sight

45 Raven

I am new to the CZ platform and recently acquired a CZ75 Shadow Custom from the CZ Custom Shop.

While the sight picture is okay, I am not real fond of the rear sight that came on the pistol and am considering replacement with one of the CZ H-TAC fixed rear sight made for the Shadow. This will require replacement of the F/O front sight as well to match the new rear sight.

The purpose of this replacement would be to reduce the size/height of the rear sight and end up with a rear sight that doesn't hang off the back of the slide like the stock sight.

Does anyone have experience with the H-TAC sight? If so, would you mind sharing your thoughts and contrasting it to the standard rear sight? Since this pistol will be used 100% for games and matches, am I missing something in wanting to replace the stock rear sight?

I attached a photo of the HTAC sight to this post

post-21616-0-88422500-1456449470.jpg

Edited by 45 Raven

I appreciate the recommendation to mill the slide and install an LPA. Can you describe your thought behind that vs. the H-TAC sight?

Thanks.

to get and adjustable rear, now i hear that a new adjustable is in the works or out already and fits the standard dovetail,

Thread somewhere on here about it...

good luck with the shadow

I have limited experience with competition shooting so i may be missing something. That being said.

A sight that hangs off of the back of the slide has the benefit of a longer sight radius. The longer the better.

The rear notch of the H Tac will likely be shallower than the sight it came with. Some folks like a deeper notch. The serrations may also be different.

Otherwise i do not see any real issue with it.

Edited by Tok36

I got to see an H-TAC sight on a P-01 today. Not certain the notch is of the same configuration as the notch on the H-TAC made for the Shadow. But the notch on the H-TAC I saw didn't seem to be any shallower that the notch on on the sight that the Shadow came with.

In any event, I would prefer a deeper notch than either of the two I compared. I wouldn't mind the notch being slightly wider, either.

I plan on visiting with Stuart at CZ Custom this coming week and am confident he will assist me in finding the combination I like best.

It might just be something exclusive to me, but after shooting my new Custom Shadow for the first time today, it just seemed like the rear sight looks like it is the size of a business card with a narrow, shallow notch in it!

I am used to shooting 10-8 rear sights with brass bead fronts on my 1911's and Taran Tactical and Warren Sevigny rears with F/O fronts on my Glock pistols, so it may simply be that the CZ sights are new and different to me and may take some personal adjustment.

Any feedback is appreciated, and I will keep it in mind when I visit the CZ Shop.

Thanks

I got to see an H-TAC sight on a P-01 today. Not certain the notch is of the same configuration as the notch on the H-TAC made for the Shadow. But the notch on the H-TAC I saw didn't seem to be any shallower that the notch on on the sight that the Shadow came with.

In any event, I would prefer a deeper notch than either of the two I compared. I wouldn't mind the notch being slightly wider, either.

I plan on visiting with Stuart at CZ Custom this coming week and am confident he will assist me in finding the combination I like best.

It might just be something exclusive to me, but after shooting my new Custom Shadow for the first time today, it just seemed like the rear sight looks like it is the size of a business card with a narrow, shallow notch in it!

I am used to shooting 10-8 rear sights with brass bead fronts on my 1911's and Taran Tactical and Warren Sevigny rears with F/O fronts on my Glock pistols, so it may simply be that the CZ sights are new and different to me and may take some personal adjustment.

Any feedback is appreciated, and I will keep it in mind when I visit the CZ Shop.

Thanks

Tell Stuart if he decides to make a competition or tactical rear with a wider notch I'll take 4 (2 standard SP-01 and 2 Shadow). There is no one making a rear with wider rear notch than .125. I'd love a .135 or .140 wide rear notch.

You could always have the rear dovetail opened up to fit a Novak and then use a 10-8 or Sevigny (I think Sevigny makes a novak) rear.

"Tell Stuart if he decides to make a competition or tactical rear with a wider notch I'll take 4 (2 standard SP-01 and 2 Shadow). There is no one making a rear with wider rear notch than .125. I'd love a .135 or .140 wide rear notch. You could always have the rear dovetail opened up to fit a Novak and then use a 10-8 or Sevigny (I think Sevigny makes a novak) rear"

I was afraid of that, but wondered if they might be able to take one of their H-TAC sights for the Shadow and open up the notch to .140 for me. And while they are at it, increase the depth of the notch slightly too. (Although I am not certain what would be the best dimension for the depth might be). What do you think . . . . also .140? That approach (machining the sight instead of the slide) would allow me to keep the pistol legal for IDPA SSP division, since machining the dovetail would knock it out of that division I think.

I don't even intend to shoot the Shadow in SSP at this time (ESP instead), but it would be nice to have the flexibility to shoot SSP if I wanted to at some time.

Visited with Stuart at the CZ Custom Shop today and we reviewed my sight options. We decided to have them replace the stock Shadow Custom competition rear sight with a Shadow H-TAC sight. They are going to open up the notch on the new rear sight to .140". Stuart measured the notch on the H-TAC straight from the package and it measured .127". The notch in the stock issue sight measures .120" The front sight is also being replaced with another F/O front, but a shorter one to match the reduced height of the H-TAC sight.

Should be ready in a couple of weeks. I am confident I am going to like this set-up better.

If anyone might be in the market for a like new Shadow Competition Rear Sight and matching F/O front sight, let me know. Note that this rear sight will ONLY fit the dovetail on a Shadow . . . . . not other models.

I opened up my Shadow rear sight with a file. Deepened the notch a bit too. Very easy to do.

What dimensions did you end up with on the notch? Did the work accomplish what you hoped it would?

• 3 weeks later...

Got it back and I am very, very happy with the lower profile and sight picture of the HTAC rear. They opened up the width of the notch from .125" to .140" and also installed a new 5.5mm high front F/O sight to match the new rear. The new F/O front is .125" wide and has a 1.5mm diameter fiber optic rod. Perfect for my eyes, and the workmanship and quality of the job was outstanding.

• 2 weeks later...

Decided to go the same route you did Raven. My 75 Shadow is being built and Stuart was kind enough to indulge me on this sight option. Only difference is I'm going .150 wide and .130 deep on the rear. Same front as you did for the older eyes!