Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RIA 1911's ?

ashman627

Picked up a new one Ultra FS 5" in 9mm a couple of weeks ago and just completed a bit over 500 rounds without any failure of any type :surprise: . First 10 rounds were WW 115's and the rest were my reloads. This is the one with the G10 grips (which I like), fiber optic front and adjustable rear. Does have a FLGR.

Only change I made was to the fiber optic rod - I swapped out the orange it came with for green so it matched all of my other handguns.

Seems to be well-built, very tight and accurate - although I have only had a chance to shoot it to 50' so far.

Only thing to be forewarned about is that new from the factory it is literally dripping in shipping oil but a quick bath in mineral spirits will clean it out. FYI - the extractor was easy to remove when I detail stripped the slide.

So far IMHO I would say that this is a keeper and I am inclined to buy another RIA in the future. Not as pretty as other 1911's but definitely a great shooter.

I have a few RIA's in 9mm, two single stacks and a double stack. They are a nice budget 1911, they shoot well and are reliable. They have a little bit of a loose slide to frame fit compared to more pricy guns and the finish just Ok, nothing fancy. For the price I would say you can't go wrong. I turned one into a open gun and after 6000 rounds it's still going strong. Buy one you'll be happy with it.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the 9mm tac fs and it only choked on 147 grain handloads at slide lock when it was sub 500 rounds. Otherwise very accurate and reliable. I managed a 3" group at 25 yards off hand with it and have only changed the front sight, upgraded the trigger, and added a dawson magwell.

Grear budget 1911.

I accidentally bought the 4.25" midsize instead of the full size and have about 2000 rounds through it. Mostly factory but the last 500 or so rounds are handloads. Had terrible fail-to-feed (nose-dives) with flat point ammo, but it will eat up any round nose bullets.

I, too, swapped the dingy orange fiber for a bright green one.

Also added some 3M grip tape across the front strap, a slightly lower weight mag release spring, blacked out the dots on the rear sight, swapped out the factory magwell for a PMC Defense magwell and 3D printed some custom honeycomb grips.

Definitely not a match barrel... may work on improving that next.

Only real problem, outside of not liking flat point ammo, is that the firing pin stop is VERY loose and the firing pin return spring may have weakened a bit (or was too weak to begin with). I have an EGW oversize firing pin stop and several weights of springs en route from MidwayUSA right now.

After 6 months, I'd definitely buy another RIA 1911, but I'd make damn sure I picked up the 5" next time!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

I have a RIA 22TCM/9mm I used it in Limited minor until my custom Limited 40 was built. I did change the front sight, put a Dawson on. I put just over 5,000 rounds 9 mm through it last year with no problems. Like N3WWN posted mine hated any flat point or hollow point bullets. As long as I shot round nose bullets it preformed flawless. I would not hesitate to buy another RIA.

• 1 month later...

Gonna resurrect this thread. How much does the single stack 9mm Tactical II/Ultra (the one with the VZ grips and magwell) weigh? I want to get this one and then get a dawson magwell/mainspring housing but I can't find anywhere that has the official weight.

So does anyone know? Thanks!

51623 the Rock Ultra FS 9mm (VS grips, magwell, no rail) is listed on their site as

WEIGHT Unloaded 2.49 lbs / 1.13 kg Loaded 2.87 lbs / 1.3 kg Not sure that is fully accurate, as 51961 the TCM Tac Ultra FS Combo (VZ grips, magwell, and full length rail) is shown as WEIGHT Unloaded 2.35 lbs / 1.07 kg The long railed dust cover should weigh more.

51623 the Rock Ultra FS 9mm (VS grips, magwell, no rail) is listed on their site as

WEIGHT Unloaded 2.49 lbs / 1.13 kg Loaded 2.87 lbs / 1.3 kg Not sure that is fully accurate, as 51961 the TCM Tac Ultra FS Combo (VZ grips, magwell, and full length rail) is shown as WEIGHT Unloaded 2.35 lbs / 1.07 kg The long railed dust cover should weigh more.

That is what I was kind of wondering about, cause I saw that weight and 39 oz isn't unreasonable for a regular 1911, but 37.6 for a FLDC is way light. So it makes me question their "official" weights...

That is what I was kind of wondering about, cause I saw that weight and 39 oz isn't unreasonable for a regular 1911, but 37.6 for a FLDC is way light. So it makes me question their "official" weights...

Bump it up, anybody have the official weight on one of these bad boys?

I have a couple, one is a full size double stack and the other is a Commander size single stack (9mm/22 TCM). For the price, the build quality is good. Both have been reliable. Only changes I've made are replacing the front sights with Dawsons and de-horsing the thumb safeties (every RIA am I safety I've seen are crazy sharp).

Has anyone shot the RIA single stack .40?

I have not, but if you are considering it for SS it's not legal, it has a bull barrel. I don't know why they would do that when they make the other calibers with bushing barrels. Maybe if enough of us call them and beg they will start making them with bushings....

Bummer, but good to know. Guess I'll find an STI Trojan.

I think if enough of us expressed interest in it and someone explained that they could sell a whole bunch of them if they did it then maybe they would start. Being able to buy a gun that is pretty much ready to rock for SS for under 600 bucks would be a game changer, me thinks.