Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

EGW HD or Extreme Trigger Kit?

al503

I was told by one of the smith's I've worked with that between the Extreme and the EGW (with Koenig Hammer) kits, the Extreme lends itself to a crisper break. We went with the extreme as I prep the trigger and like a light take up to a crisp and somewhat heavy break.

I've been getting the last few parts for a new limited build and was curious about the newer EGW HD Hammer (not the Koenig) and Hard Sear (pics attached.)

Does anyone out there have both and would comment on which feels 'crisper?'

post-5006-0-68084000-1455244687_thumb.jp

post-5006-0-06959900-1455244695_thumb.jp

I haven't used the extreme, but I have used the EGW, SV and various others. I don't think it has much to do with which brand you use, but how it's prepped.

That's what I thought until my conversation with the smith, who actually worked for George at EGW for a while.

To be honest, I don't see how there's going to be a difference. The relationship between the pin hole and the hammer hooks has to be to spec, and the hooks are cut square. About the only thing that's going to make difference, assuming they are prepped the same, is the weight. My experience is that a crisp trigger derives from the sear angles/dimensions and spring weights. Hammers are pretty much constant. That's not to say they're all the same in terms of quality. But aside from adjusting hook height and polishing contact surfaces, there's not much you can do with a hammer.

Brazos "Pro Series Trigger Group" is a very good option as well. Sear and hammer already matched. Super crisp trigger.

I just put one of these in a Sti Maurader 9mm and was 100% drop in for me. Outstanding trigger!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the advice, guys.

I have several of Bob's trigger kits and they are outstanding. I use them in every used/new to me pistol I get that could use it.

Since this new build and the smith does a great trigger job, I thought I might try something else for giggles.

Brazos "Pro Series Trigger Group" is a very good option as well. Sear and hammer already matched. Super crisp trigger.

I just put one of these in a Sti Maurader 9mm and was 100% drop in for me. Outstanding trigger!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I may have to try one in my Marauder as well.

FWIW, I too would agree the EX hammer does lend itself to a crisp break, only because of the design. I would use the EX hammer/sear/EGW disco, only because it can fill the hole in the frame, where as the EX disco does not. But really only necessary if the hole is large, no matter the EGW can be made to fit.

Lastly, i would get the EX hammer strut and I use the Nowlin stainless sear spring from Brownells.

But the nice parts do not mean a darn, if your not getting equal contact on the sear from the hammer hooks! That's the trigger job!