Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rifle And Shotgun Classifications

Charles Bond

Yes we use USPSA rules. The match is combined with the regular pistol match. We set up 2 stages that only the 3gunners shoot and there are 2 stages only the pistol match shooters shoot and 4 the are used by both matches. those stages have different course descriptions for each match.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be all for a 3-Gun classification..... but instead of Rifle and Shotgun being added to pistol as seperate classifications, have 1 standard classifer like IDPA using 1 string each of a Shotgun, Rifle and Multi-gun.

That way for USPSA, you'd have a Pistol classification, and a 3-Gun Classification. To much to keep up with otherwise, I'd think.

I think that attempting to create a classification system for shotguns and rifles would be a nightmare for the stats people as well as a huge drain on resourses for the host club. Thats a lot of additional trophies the club has to buy..........

If you are going to do anything you should look at maybe making the USPSA Nationals, as a whole, a classifier, and assigning an Overall 3 Gun classification based on finishing position at each Nationals. Even then you would be creating a lot of problems for match staff for little, if any, benefit to the shooter.

I would rather see the elimination of all classifications in 3 Gun, and just have everyone shoot heads up for overall finish within their division.

Very good point Shred.... most of us shoot Lim and Lim-10 both with the same gun anyway.... and most classifiers are 10 round neutral.

I'll third it, we do have to many classifications. :P

I have yet to have any shooter or match director tell me we have too many classifications. 

I think we have too many classifications. :D

Me too.. Just for one example, why are Lim-10 and Limited classifications different?

I think separate classifications would be good.

But I stongly agree with a number of posters in that USPSA 3Gun has FUNDAMENTAL problems that need to be addressed --- the rules, the scoring, the software, unloading, etc.

"Fix" those problems first and then do a classification system for the long guns.

Table long gun classifications until the core problems that we have have been resolved.

I hope I'm not repeating something someone else has already said. I don't see the problem with 3 gun matches or the scoring of them. I don't do the scoring so maybe I shoud leave it alone, but I see the scores done by the scoring gods every 3 months. I don't see a problem with long gun classes and shotgun classes to keep us on the same track as pistol. No more than one class below your highest. Their will always be SANDBAGERS untill our wonderful president starts doing something about it, but that don't matter to him because he's at the top, and to busy shooting to call us peons back.

Multi gun? I shot a muti gun match this passed weekend and watched a shooter draw his pistol with dowel rods sticking up all under and around the grip. SAFE?? I have a 38 waist and the thought of a pistol, 4 mags, 2 rifle mags, 20 or so shotgun shells or 6 speed loaders on it just makes me want to stay home. The match was fun, but it was shooting. All shooting is fun. The time it takes us to set up 2 or 3 guns for a stage then clear them is just to long. It took so long to clear and call out RANGE IS SAFE that we had three shooters on two stages walk behind the targets down range of us before we could clear them. SAFE?? I drive 2 hours to two ranges and 1 hour to two other ranges one way, buy the time I get home it's late enough with out all of that.

Another thing is I don't see what is practical about shooting 300 to 750 yards, give me a break. 100 yards is just fine for a long shot. Making the new shooters spend more money on more accurate rifles and high dollar scopes just don't sound right to me.

How's that Charles? Theirs more were that came from. See you at the Area 6 match. I'll probably be the only one standing at what should be the shoot off range.

Ronnie A-44415

Still Praying for that A (and a shoot off) HELP!!!!!!

OK...we have taken this thread well off topic. Mr. Bond came here for opinions on a rifle and shotgun classification system...and we gave him opinions on everything else (I am as guilty as anybody).

As an Adiministrator & Moderator here, I should have stopped it at the first drift...and/or split the topic into seperate threads.

Sorry about that Mr. Bond.

From here on out, any post in this thread that doesn't deal with Rifle And Shotgun Classifications will simply be deleted.

Since range limitations seem to limit rifle classifiers to shortish distances, any thoughts given to standardizing on 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, etc., sized IPSC target faces? Scaling for short ranges makes sense in a lot of cases. Other than the lack of windage and elevation doping, simulating distace targets should work, and time to paste targets would be manageable too. I bet these would also get plenty of use in local matches. Might be able to use many of the existing pistol qualifier stages by substituting scaled targets...

Agreed Paul. I am of the opinion that simple rifle and shotgun only stages run on normal pistol bays as sidematches would work as classifications. A multi-gun rating can be derived by averaging the individual rifle and shotgun results against the existing pistol results and you still get the benefit of maintaining individual gun stats for whenever an ICS becomes extant in IPSC, or you go to something like a large rifle or shotgun only match (yes, they do have those now and then).

--

Regards,

George

Lets see if I have this right. Two separate classifiers one rifle and one shootgun, both shot on the same match. Paired together in a book of classifiers. Tobe shot separate as seprate classifiers then put together for a multi gun classifier. Might work. Still not a fan of multi gun.

Ronnie A44415

Still praying for that A

You don't have to shoot more than one at a time. They can be run as sidematches at regular club pistol matches, rifle one month, shotgun the next. Yeah, the average of rifle, pistol and shotgun gets the multi-gun classification. Cake and eat it too ;-)