Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First SV Infinity Build

chowellacsbd

Looking to start my first Infinity 5in build (SDC of LDC) in 9mm and was wondering about the Infinity "blued" finish. Does anyone here have experience with the blueing wear on their steel grips? If that's what they use on the grips when selecting "Blued" as pistol finish.

Looking to save about 450 by doing so apparently.

Thanks guys!

My infinity is just blued, but I have been very impressed with there bluing. It seems to have held up really well for the two years since I had it finished. Metal grip doesn't seem to show any wear yet. If you are planing on using a race holster (that only contacts the trigger guard) then I think the bluing is a good option. The bluing from the trigger guard has word a bit. I personally love the look of a blued gun. If you are planning on using kydex for a holster, you may be better served by something like DLC...

Edited by EngineerEli

What he said ^^

I have SV Limited and single stack guns, both blued.

The Limited gun only shows a little wear under the dust cover at the contact point with the DAA holster. Virtually no other wear marks elsewhere.

The SS gun shows lots of wear from the BladeTech holster all around the front of the slide - particularly near the muzzle.

To be honest, I shoot a lot more SS that Limited.

I really like the color of the SV bluing.

ETA: no wear on either grip area. Limited gun has grip tape so no direct contact for the most part. The SS gun with checkered steel grip/frame also is still nicely blue after several thousand rounds.

Edited by lumpygravy

Nice thing about the bluing is the ability for SV to redo the bluing for you later on down the road if it gets bad. I was at the factory this past June and had my oldest Single Stack with me. Brandon was redoing the grip safety (old style ) with a new style one. Since he had the gun apart and it had some wear marks from holsters due to daily carry (yes, I use one of my Single Stacks as a carry gun for the colder months here in the upper mid west), Brandon just re blued the entire lower while I was there for the afternoon. Made the gun look brand new and it's now almost 9 years old with thousands and thousands of rounds through it. Any other finish is not as easy to touch up as a standard blue.

Besides, then you have an excuse to get another one in a different finish....and then another caliber and then with the new diamond cuts, and then and then and then.........

Yup, it's official. It's an addiction. Join the club.

Roy Neal

Team SV Infinity

Thanks guys for all the comments and thoughts.

I already have 2 options (SDC & LDC) spec'd in GunBuilder and just waiting to see what the price difference is, Blued vs DLC. Both are spec'd as 5in bull (no sight tracker), but can't decide on either SDC or LDC...both are pretty badass. Blacked out except for the tin barrel and an IPSC box "bobtail" (just like the look) ;)

Anyone have issues at all with rust on the grip? Ranger; you're down in the steamy south...any rust through your blueing at all?

I already have 2 options (SDC & LDC) spec'd in GunBuilder and just waiting to see what the price difference is, Blued vs DLC. Both are spec'd as 5in bull (no sight tracker), but can't decide on either SDC or LDC...both are pretty badass. Blacked out except for the tin barrel and an IPSC box "bobtail" (just like the look) ;)

Anyone have issues at all with rust on the grip? Ranger; you're down in the steamy south...any rust through your blueing at all?

Before I comment further, please remind me what you will be doing with this masterpiece?

Before I comment further, please remind me what you will be doing with this masterpiece?

Local steel matches, range gun, maaaaaaaayyybe take a run at a local USPSA match...just for fun of course.

OK, then.....SDC, stirrup cut, sight tracker. Blued carbon steel is a great option if you take care of your guns. If you shoot a match on a hot summer day or a rainy day, you will need to wipe it down after the match. Most of us enjoy a little light maintenance, so no big deal. If you prefer to shoot in adverse conditions and just throw the gun in the safe, I would suggest stainless. I've never had a single issue with a stainless gun from Infinity firearms.

OK, then.....SDC, stirrup cut, sight tracker. Blued carbon steel is a great option if you take care of your guns. If you shoot a match on a hot summer day or a rainy day, you will need to wipe it down after the match. Most of us enjoy a little light maintenance, so no big deal. If you prefer to shoot in adverse conditions and just throw the gun in the safe, I would suggest stainless. I've never had a single issue with a stainless gun from Infinity firearms.

Thanks. LDC too much weight at the front?

IMHO, for a 9mm, yes..

IMHO, for a 9mm, yes..

Also didn't take into consideration the steel grip as far as weight goes. Everything Ive had built in the past has always had sti grips.

There is always the mid length dust cover to consider if you want something in between. I think they call it the Butler cut? That is what I have on mine. Yes the steel grips do add a good bit of weight, but right to your hand so it doesn't slow you down much.

This decision just got harder...

Definitely going with a SDC (thank you RangerTrace), MP aggressive or standard pockets, no sight-tracker (never liked the look), AET bull barrel...but now can't decide on the finish. Both Blued and Stainless finishes are the same cost...$0 extra :)

While I'm a fan of a blued gun, I like the ease of maintenance of a stainless one...

DAMMIT!