Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stretch 16 308 barrel

co-exprs

Hey Gang,

I was approached about a year ago to do some T&E work on the then secret Stretch 16 308 barrel. I ran this prototype barrel most of last year, in my JP LRP-07, 308 rifle with excellent results, with wins at SMM3G and RM3G. I found it to a fairly forgiving barrel with good to excellent accuracy with all of the ammo I ran in it, from nato surplus up to my own personal match loads. I ran this barrel very fast at SMM3G and had no trouble making short work of those long range targets at RM3G. My rifle runs reliably and recoil impulse is very nice with the provided, fixed gas block and there is room for a little fine tuning if you prefer an adjustable block. This barrel is designed to be a drop in replacement for any DPMS LR-308 pattern gun. It is match grade stainless and comes with a hand lapped bore. The 5/8x24 thread accepts most muzzle brakes on the market. The barrel cut is light profile, so it is quick and handy without sacrificing rigidity. Check em out at:

https://www.strongsidetactical.com/brands/Stretch-Precision.html

Cool, thanks Mike. Let's just say, hypothetically, I built an AR10 with the Stretch barrel for my grandma. If it turns out she had no interest, would it be wrong for me to store the rifle and function test it for her regularly?

Well, if that's wrong then I don't want you to be right!

• 3 weeks later...

Thank's for the info on this Stretch barrel . I put a .308 together with a 16" BHW barrel . It will shoot only my reloads or the good high price ammo. If I shoot any of my Nato ammo the bullets tumble within 30 yards. What is the rifling in this barrel, what is the cost,and were do I get one?

THANKS,

LoneRanger

Hey Mike,

What other barrel would you go with? I have over 3,000 rds of Nato 147 gr. ammo will not shoot in my BHW barrel without tumbling. I've tried shooting without comp. doesn't make a difference . With the price of ammo I would like to be able to shoot this stuff. So I'm thinking it might be cheaper to buy a different barrel ? What do you or anyone have for a fix for this.

THANKS.

Well, here's the thing. If your nato ammo and only your nato ammo tumbles and without knowing why, my first thought is that there is something wrong with that ammo. I can only recommend barrels I have personal experience with and non of them can untumble a bullet in flight. In 308, I have run Stretch Precision, JP Enterprises and Krieger with outstanding results. I've also had my butt kicked by a couple of Heavy Metal heavy weights shooting DPMS barrels.

Any plans for the Stretch 16 .308 barrel to be released with a DPMS G-II compatible barrel extension? That would be really, really tempting...

Not as far as I can tell. I planned on putting one on my G2 and in the end it was too much of a PITA.

• 2 months later...