Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 gun nation rules for transporting a pistol

So, I will try to keep this short: what are the rules regarding taking an unloaded holstered pistol on or off your belt, holster included, between stages in 3 gun nation rules?

I ran into this for the first time last year. In between stages, I normally unload my competition belt and/or reconfigure my gear for the next stage. At my first 3 gun nation match, I was packing up to walk to the next stage and I removed my pistol from its holster to put it directly in a case and was sternly told to do it in a safe area. I freely admit in hindsight that that could have been a violation of the rules requiring unloaded firearms to be handled only in safe areas, I just didn't realize casing was handling. But after that I was told that I couldn't remove the holstered pistol or belt with the holstered pistol on it outside the safe area either.

Is that correct? What this led to was a surreal experience for me, as sure enough, my entire squad then went on to a shotgun only stage where every single competitor had a pistol on their belt. The safe area at this range was not close, and setting up targets and whatnot would have been impaired with competitors taking extra minutes to go pack and unpack handguns.

I just personally don't see the sense in allowing competitors to carry their long guns back from a stage and case them up, but saying that the only way that a handgun will ever attach to or leave a belt will be in a designated safe table area. To be honest up until this incident I had always done what I did above and case and uncase my handgun as needed, but that was at outlaw matches.

The long guns should have chamber flags for one in them which is a big difference the pistol dosent. Even in outlaw matches I have never seen one where the pistol can be handled anywhere you choose. the loosest i have seen is the HOLSTERED pistol can be cased if it stays in the holster.

They gave you a BIG benefit of the doubt as you didnt get the DQ

But had the OP gone to the back of his car it would have been ok, what is the difference if he did it there or next to the stage. 3Gun Nation has some very lax rules regarding what is and what is not a "safe area", why is the trunk or bed of a truck safer then on the ground next to the stage? Than again I have seen "safe areas" at other matches that were anything but, No defined "area", people handling guns and pointing them where ever.... Some peoples kids should not own firearms.... what I know that it is not loaded.... Bang.

I will accept that I was in violation of the rules to unholster to case up my handgun, outside a safety table. Count that as a learning experience, now I know.

But what say the rules about removing/adding a holster containing a pistol from my belt outside a safe area?

1.4.1 necessitates transporting pistols cased or holstered between stages. I guess the crux of my question is weather removing an unloaded, holstered pistol is the same as "handling" a pistol per rule 1.3.2.

That's why you read the stage designs ahead of time or scout the stages early.

I was fully aware that the next stage would require no handguns whatsoever. That's why I wanted to remove it.

Sometimes at a match it isn't clear where the "safe" area is. This is usually addressed at the shooters meeting before shooting starts -why everyone should attend the shooters meeting. To be safe when you don't know, get an RO and ask-I want to bag my pistol-they will take you to a berm and there you go.

At Ironman, the consensus as explained to me was: You are a big boy. Case or uncase firearms in a safe direction into a berm. If you point a gun at somebody (loaded or not) you will be asked to go home and learn not to be an idiot. Too many guns, too many options ( some troopers have 5 or 6 guns on them at all times and are constantly re-arranging their packs between stages) to babysit everybody. DON'T BE A MORON.

Aside from THAT ONE MATCH, most everything requires safety table handling of pistols. That said, I see people at nearly every major with their holster on some type of QD mount, and the whole package comes off and goes into the bag when necessary. I always find a safety table ( old USPSA habits die hard) before touching the pistol, but others are more lax.

As stated by others though, if you know the next stage won't need it, and no safety table is nearby, case it at the end of the stage run. Problem solved. OR, ask an RO where he would be comfortable supervising you removing the pistol in the absence of a safety table. I have yet to meet an RO who got upset because you asked him to ensure everyone's safety.

• 4 weeks later...

I have never been to a match where you could not remove a holstered pistol from you belt and put it in your bag. As long as the pistol stays in the holster you are OK.

I have back issues, so I like to take my pistol off my belt as much as possible. The ELS system has been a godsend.

Can't ​definitively speak to 3GunNation, but for USPSA, it's a no-no. A while ago I asked this specific question of the USPSA rules guy and he unequivocally said removing a holstered pistol from your belt (Safariland ELS) or removing the entire belt with gun holstered was considered unsafe gun handling. He quoted me a USPSA rule but I don't remember which. At a couple of 3GunNation matches I went to, the practice was also prohibited. Like someone else said, go to a safe area or ask an RO.

I've shot with a few guys who bag and unbag at the start and finish of each stage in USPSA. You could do the same in 3Gun or any other discipline. Just drop your bag wherever you expect to finish with your pistol and bag it when clearing.