Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SP01's should make it in CO now.

Quack

USPSA continues to embrace the evolution in firearms technology and innovation. Numerous handgun manufacturers are now offering optics-ready platforms. The recent SHOT Show displayed more optics-ready carry guns than ever before. Custom gunsmiths often upgrade these factory offerings with front cocking serrations, cosmetic cuts, stippled grips, undercut trigger guards, buried optics and co-witnessed sights.

In July of 2015, USPSA announced the provisional Carry Optics Division. During the past few months, the provisional division has exhibited slow but steady growth. The members interested in this division have spoken, and the USPSA Board of Directors has listened. The division will remain provisional, but for the remainder of 2016 will have some new opportunities.

The changes for Carry Optics Division will make it truly unique from other divisions, and will include:

-Authorization for all levels of USPSA and Steel Challenge

- Expanded stippling, contouring and texturing of the grip frame to include undercut trigger guard and grip reduction

-Expanded slide profiles to include serrations and cosmetic cuts not completely through the slide

-Increased weight limit of 45 ounces, including optic and empty magazine, allowing more pistols to compete

-Required use of a slide-mounted optic, prohibiting guns without an optic.

The next review of the provisional Carry Optics Division is scheduled for late January 2017.

Please note that making some of the changes now allowed in the provisional Carry Optics Division will render your handgun illegal for Production Division. A new appendix has been added to the online rulebook to aid shooters and match officials with the changes.

-USPSA President Mike Foley and USPSA Board of Directors

Edited by Quack

That mostly sounds positive to me, and should help make the division more attractive.

One thing I wonder about tho, is what if your optic malfunctions? You can't remove it and use the irons. not sure if that is a good thing or not. Guess I don't care much either... just thinking out loud.

That mostly sounds positive to me, and should help make the division more attractive.

One thing I wonder about tho, is what if your optic malfunctions? You can't remove it and use the irons. not sure if that is a good thing or not. Guess I don't care much either... just thinking out loud.

Better bring a spare I guess.

I am thinking this will be a good thing, now everyone with their reduced, stippled and lightened glock 19's and 23's with RMR's (you know, the people that ACTUALLY carry an optics gun) can shoot without being in Open. And all the people complaining about not being able to shoot their metal guns will be happy.

Really, everyone except the complainers will be more happy, and they will just use it as more justification for calling it names and saying its just like open.

Maybe a provision for IWB in front of the hip bone? Still have to have magazines and such behind weak side hip, but gun in front with the condition it is IWB? Seems silly to me but possible?

That's similar to what I was thinking.

You're thinking like an iron sight shooter .... :)

What happens to open guys when their optics fail? can you say backup gun? Haven't heard of someone's optic failing in the middle of a match .... I'm sure it has happened but probably quite rare ....

What happens to open guys when their optics fail? can you say backup gun? Haven't heard of someone's optic failing in the middle of a match .... I'm sure it has happened but probably quite rare ....

Then you should read about RTS2 owners hahaha

They seem to fail in a match weekly.

Wanna know a secret? They can ALL fail. Some more than others. RMR's...you name it.

Edited by bruceg

Wanna know a secret? They can ALL fail. Some more than others. RMR's...you name it.

Before I went to open I shot carry optics. My FastFire 3 went out on me several times in the middle of a stage. Once in Steel Challenge where I went 1 for 1 on that string with no optic (hooray Smoke and Hope), another time on a short hoser stage in USPSA (something like 20+ alphas and 3 Charlie's), and again in a USPSA match where I was able to turn the optic back on as I transitioned to a new position. It's not good when it goes down, but its not game over either. You would be surprised what kind of hits you can get with just the window and muscle memory