Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bullet Weight For .308 For 3-gun

davidwiz

For use in an AR .308 rifle for the He-Man/Heavy Metal/etc. 3-Gun Divisions, what bullet weight are people using? I would think that the 168gr and heavier bullet weights are too much, as you don't need all that omph as you're not shooting much past 300 yrds. To me, it seems that the lighter bullet weights, like the 155gr Palma would be better.

-David

I like both, but I always gravitate to the 168s. This is really rediculous as I always gravitate to 55gr bullets in .223. Life can be goofier than a monkey on ether! :D KURTM

I roll my own and have shot:

Nosler 125 Ballistic Tip IMHO the best all-around 3 gun bullet with low recoil and decent ballistics but EXPENSIVE. Usually very accurate.

110 Sierra HP: Great bullet for 90 % of 3 gunning but very suseptible to wind. Very low recoil but no BC either. Surprisingly accurate.

Sierra 150 MK: Great bullet for 150 yards plus and less recoil than a 168 BUT a lot more recoil than a 110. Usually very accurate.

A SMM3G, I shot SMK 150s on the long range stages and 110 HPs every place else. Jerry shot 168s for the whole match and said he would not be doing that again!

168 is a great bullet but too much recoil!

Davidwiz:

Most everyone reloads match ammo for the .308, unless you can find a real nice lot of surplus ammo. Most ball isn't very accurate and it take trial and "miss" to find the "right stuff". Also to shoot factory "match ammo" at $15.00 a box of 20 or more, it is just too darn expensive! Reloading really cuts this cost down, and you know it will shoot in your particular barrel. BTW the 155 is a good bullet and works every bit as good as the 168/175 for what we do!! The thing that keeps me with the 168/175 for .308 is that I shoot that bullet alot more than anything light, so to make life easy I just buy one weight in bulk quantities.

P.S. Don't tell Kelly Neil, but I am thinking of triing a 69 gr Nozzler for my Iron sight .223, but if he finds out, he will whip me and ride me like a small donkey......OOOPS...did I type that in my out loud voice?? :D KURTM

I must be one of the lucky ones as my "match load" at SMM3G was Austrialian Nato ball.

I know, not much of a long range test but with that excellent target display I am sure to have hit out to 350. Just tested a lot of Argentine ball that shoots well enough too. At .18 cents a round why reload. My accuracy criteria is rather liberal. Ammo must hold the A zone to 300 yards as shot from sitting.

I am a newlywed and had to make a choice between reloading and... er...a...um.....

well you know.

PK

A SMM3G, I shot SMK 150s on the long range stages and 110 HPs every place else.  Jerry shot 168s for the whole match and said he would not be doing that again! 

For reasons that are still unknown to me to this day, I was honored to be squaded with Jerry and the rest of the DPMS team + the JP team at the SMM3G (I was a team unto myself). :) I can tell you that Jerry was rockin' with his .308

Thank you all for your insights.

168 is a great bullet but too much recoil!

I gotta say, that kind of thinking *has* to be considered a violation of the fundamental tenets of the "He Man" division....

:P:P

Bruce

David, the 2003 MOR sidematch was orginally set-up 300 yds and in and I loaded a 125 Sierra SP over 46 gr. Benchmark. This worked very well, they did change the course of fire and added 600 yard targets and I went back to 175s. Used used up these 125 loads at ILWAs fun rifle match on a run and gun field course with my bolt gun.

Davidwiz,

I use Bulk 147 grn winchester( Midway USA ) that I reload over 2520 myself for my M1A, Using a red dot on the forward scope mount.

This load keeps me in the "A" zone out to 250 yds as that is as far as I have tested them.

I load using the Chronograph and make thies go 10.000 over the Major break (350,00) mine actually do average (349.800).

I have used 110s and 168s also and do the same (chrono) I did not like the muzzle blast using the 110s the 168s were great but just a little more expensive(shot better though) recoil for me between the 147s and the 168s is not noticable.

If I am going to go to a match that I know will have long range stuff I will throw the 168s in the ammo bag and make sure the gun is sighted in for them, the 147s shoot close enough out to 150 yds compared to the 168s. they(168s) just hold a tighter group at 250 and with the red dot that really helps the confidence.

Hope that helps.

Sam Keen

Most of my brass is Isreali or Lake City, this stuff stays with me....

The brass that goes to a Match where it may get lost is Commercial picked up at the Mississippi Academy where my buddy gets it for me !!! :D:D:D (free once fired Federal) Wha Hoo !!!! :D:D:D

Hopalong

So fellow he-men, I know where you get your balls from, bullets that is, but where are you getting good, clean reloadable, affordable .308 brass these days?

With enough patience, I usually get a good bunch from e-bay for a good price.

Good thought Bruce, I checked that before placing an order for a pile more.

FYI Portugese and Hirenberger will attract a magnet but DO NOT hurt any of MGM's steel targets. The South African, Aussie and Argentine are all copper / lead. Damed if I can tell the diference in bullet marking on steel.

See you at the Tri Gun Challenge

PK