Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Compressed major loads

IHMSA15151

I'm still waiting on my STI DVC open gun in 9mm major so to help pass the time I thought I would get some loading in. I plan on using a 125 gr. bullet and VV N350. I chose that powder as it was the only one available for purchase of the several I had read about as being used for 9 major. Researching this site I have determined that I should start at 6.0 grs. and slowly work up using the chronograph and watching for pressure signs and might end up as high as 7.0-7.5. Well, I drop 6.0 grs. into a 9mm case and it's pretty full. With 7.0 it just about fills it up. I know I will most likely set my overall length longer than normal, but until I get the pistol in hand I don't really know what bullet depth will work. So my question is, is this case volume the norm for 9 major loads? I was able to compress the powder for the most part, but would like to know if that's what others have experienced. Thanks, Steve

I've been loading 9 Major with VV N-350 for years. I also load what has been termed as "stupid" long. AOL = 1.195" using MG 124 gr JHP bullets.

Due to several popple holes, I use a little more powder than you have listed as your max without any problem and its definitely a compressed load. (That's measured with my scales,)

Shooting this load a chronograph is definitely your friend.

I load to 171.5 PF (1372 fps) and have had zero problems. Gone are the days of shooting that nasty dirty HS-6. No split cases or funny looking primers. (I usually lose my brass before I can wear it out.)

(Just a little side note: along with lowering pressure, I like to load my major loads long so that they do not fit in my Glock magazines. I'm concerned it would not be a good combination.)

Edited by Flatland Shooter

I used to seat 115 gr MG JHP's to 1.175" because of all the powder

in the case - but I did get 1-2 bullets fell out of the case during the

cycling process - spilling powder in the gun and the bullet falling

out when I racked the slide. :surprise:

Possible to load really long - but you have to be very careful and

size the case tight. :cheers:

Thanks guys. I was able to seat the bullet to 1.170 without any issues. I loaded a few at 6.0, 6.5 & 7.0 to run over the chrono.

Now it's back to waiting. :angry2:

I'm betting 7.0 will just make major.. just ... :)

I've been loading 9 Major with VV N-350 for years. I also load what has been termed as "stupid" long. AOL = 1.195" using MG 124 gr JHP bullets.

Due to several popple holes, I use a little more powder than you have listed as your max without any problem and its definitely a compressed load. (That's measured with my scales,)

Shooting this load a chronograph is definitely your friend.

I load to 171.5 PF (1372 fps) and have had zero problems. Gone are the days of shooting that nasty dirty HS-6. No split cases or funny looking primers. (I usually lose my brass before I can wear it out.)

(Just a little side note: along with lowering pressure, I like to load my major loads long so that they do not fit in my Glock magazines. I'm concerned it would not be a good combination.)

All VIT powders are clean. I've been using HS6 for years in Open. Not even nasty dirty. What does HS6 have to do with split cases?