Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

One Shot

I've never used One shot before, but after reading so much good comment about it on the forum I decided it was time to test it. When I asked for it at my local suplier he said it wasn't any good becouse it also gets on the inside of the cases and contaminates tho powder. And cousing inconsistend powder ignition. Is this true or not.

Unfortunately I can no longer find the post, but I did some testing a while back. The only way to contaminate primers with lube (no matter what the variety) is to be just outrageously careless. You literally have to have standing liquid in the case. And...believe it or not, what's preventing the primer from igniting is not the lube, but the alcohol carrier. I filled primed cases with lube and they would not fire. Pour out the liquid and let them dry - and they all go bang.

Another wive's tale bites the dust.

Agree w/ .40 - the dealer gave you bad intel. As for getting inside cases, it takes 2 seconds to knock those cases on their sides & then spray & shake. None of it goes inside the case that way.

Unfortunately your local supplier doesn't know what he is talking about.

I used to spray it right in the case feed hopper like some one showed me, but that eventually makes a gummy mess in a fairly short time. I also noticed that when I went to measure my powder charge, I would have to scrape out some of the powder that was stuck to the lube that was in side the case. I never had any igition problems.

I now have a plastic tub (about 1/2 gal. size), I spray 1/2 way down the sides and finish with a swirl on the bottom, throw in about a 100 or more cases, roll and swish about 10 times and dump, and no more powder that I have to scrape out.

I read on here somewhere, that someone uses a bag to do the same.

THC

I'm with the shake and bake school of case lubing. The plastic bag from a case of Montana Gold bullets works well. Get as much of them on their sides as you can, then spray, then shake to distribute lube via contact.

Brass in a cardboard box. Spray One-Shot liberally. Tumble in the box. Throw it in the hopper and load to your heart's content.

No worries...your dealer is stupid.

SPC Richard A. White

C-Co, 232nd Med Bn

3rd PLT (Wolverines!)

Fort Sam Houston, TX (Home of the Combat Medic! Hooah!)

While One Shot is good it's expensive. I use Crown 6078 TFE Lubricant Permanent Film instead (it's a die release agent). It's less than half the price and you can get it at any of the tool shops like Production Tool here in the Detroit area.

I've never used One shot before, but after reading so much good comment about it on the forum I decided it was time to test it. When I asked for it at my local suplier he said it wasn't any good becouse it also gets on the inside of the cases and contaminates tho powder. And cousing inconsistend powder ignition. Is this true or not.

Just be sure you let the cases dry before you load them. I mean 10 minutes or so. I know Eric did the testing, but the careful sort in me says you wouldn't want to drop powder into a puddle of one-shot.

You might print out Eric's thread on the testing and take it to the guy. I wouldn't share this thread with him. :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...

I'll have to check SAM38's tip, but till then must comment on lubes.

Have used Dillon lube forever (pressured and pump) on 100+M rounds. Then switched to OneShot last year because of this site's favorable comments. Bought a case and 1/2 of the cans would not even spray. Didn't like what either left on the cases, but didn't bother to clean it off either ( ... lazy).

Now I am loading with Midway's 'Franklin Arsenal' case lube and am

D-Double impressed! I think this is #1! Anyone else been using this? Good luck? Bad luck?

Thanks ~ John

PS: and if you don't have Midway's tube filler, your missing the best deal in reloading.

• 1 month later...
Bought a case and 1/2 of the cans would not even spray.

It seems like Hornady is having some QC issues with the One Shot. I've had some issues and so have a couple other folks. Everybody elses loves their One Shot and says we're all completely nuts. (Which may well be the case... ;) )

My only problem with it is that the pressured versions sometimes has faulty nozzles, which I think it mostly has to do with lube build up in bottles sitting on the shelf for too long. You can generally get them going.

What puzzles me is the "puddle" type comments. How do you guys get it to puddle? How much are you using? Me, I use a 550 so no case feeder. I use a AcroBin about 1gallon sized to hold my brass. I spray a mist over the top layer for about 3 seconds and I leave alone while I refill my primer tube, my bullet tray and change a CD, maybe about 5min tops. The lube is supposed to migrate inside and outside the case, and if you just mist the damn stuff I dont see how it could puddle.

I never seen any buildup (well some in the sizing die, but thats to be expected) my mags dont gum up, no brass color change (brass or nickle) or any other problems.

Vlad,

By "puddles" we're referring to puddles of lube in the bottom of a case. The issue came up with a post loooong ago where someone was concerned that One Shot was giving them squibs. I did some tests with loaded ammo and primed cases and came to the conclusion that you have to be really careless about how you're spraying the cases to cause squibs. There needs to be standing liquid in there to contaminate a primer.

And Gun Geek is spot-on about waiting for the cases to dry. The reason that case lubes generate squibs, isn't the lube, it's the alcohol carrier. You can douse a primered case, blow out the gunk, let it dry and it will work just fine.

I've switched to rifle primers for everything, so even if I have contaminated primer with a little less poop than usual, I'm still OK.

E

(Hello, Mythbusters...?)