Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

627 / 327 Moons

Echd

I recently acquired a 327 and have been making an honest attempt at shooting it as much as humanly possible.

Right before I bought it, I acquired a stock of TK Customs, Ranch Products, and Hearthco moonclips. My understanding and by appearance it seems correct that the Hearthco and TKC are the same. My TKC are the "normal" size on dillon's site. The hearthcos are starline sized.

I am using only starline brass.

All moonclips work well, but I was under the impression that the starline brass in the starline clips would be held much more tightly. It certainly isn't an issue and doesn't pose one for the sort of shooting I do, but it seems like the Ranch Products clips hold the rounds roughly as securely as the hearthcos. Is there a much more pronounced difference in "rigidity" if I move to short colt brass? This is not really required for my sort of shooting, but I am just curious if my results are atypical or not.

Again, all products function fine, and the hearthco clips are definitely much more durable. But the Ranch Product clips seem to hold the brass roughly as securely as the hearthco clips do on average. The TKC marked clips that are cut for other sizes are understandably slightly more wobbly than either.

For static type of shooting where no reloads are required under the clock almost any moon clip will do, but if you intend to shoot where you have to count on a fast reload you will find a big difference.

Hearthco are the best. No doubt about it. They hold the brass secure and you will see very little drop in the bullets when holding the moon sideways. Ranch Product moons are o.k. if you don't need the fast reloads. Look at the droopiness of the brass as it lays in the moone.

TKCustom are good moons as well. I think Tom copied the Hearthco process. These are just a little cheaper than Hearthco. TK will make moons for the brass you intend to use.

What is your "sort of shooting"? The Ranch products are not known for the durability that TK and Hearthco produce.

Not timed and I am not looking for lightning fast reloads.

I think I purchased the hearthcos secondhand, but the ranch and TKC clips came from dillon, I believe.

They are definitely stout er of construction. I just wanted to make sure my expectations were not out of line. Having never used high end moons, I did not know if they would hold the rounds perfectly steady, or what.

TK and Hearthco moons are made for specific brass so performance will vary based on what brass you are using.

Since you say loading speed is not an issue and you found the Ranch clips good enough, I would just go with the Ranch clips. They will function fine until they don't and then you can just buy some more at that point plus they will load and unload with no tools. That and the price should be a plus.

First off both Tom and Dave are class guys good to do business with.

The thicker moon clips they have make for less deformation of the loaded moon clip/cartridges vs the lighter ones that fit more brass. The heavier moon clips are good for fast work in competition AND for those who might want to depend on them when taken from a bedside drawer or pocket for something like self defense.

I bet either of those guys could make the thicker moon clips that would fit most brands of brass, some tight some loose.

Been using TK's / Starline Brass for years and never an issue. Still using the original TK's and they are still perorming well on my 3rd generation (1000pc ea) of 38 Short Colt. Also, since the 929 came out I am using the same brass and moons in it. Reloading press setup / projectiles being the only difference.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally bought a 327 and the moon clips that came with it only fit starline brass. I only plan on using 38 specials since I have over 1,500 of them, but they are all mixed head stamps. Do any of you know if there's a"universal"moon clip?

To be blunt, save yourself the grief. Sell the mixed brass and buy starline brass. Some people sort their brass by headstamp and experiment with what fits and what doesn't. I recommend taking the shortcut and just buying the starline stuff, because with 1500 mixed cases, you may not have enough of what work to standardize on anything.

Been there. Done exactly that. I still run specials in speedloader guns, so the intermediate step didn't really hurt. If you go with starline for specials and short colts, you won't have to buy the second set of moonclips when you change your mind. You could always just cut to the chase and skip straight to SC and moons that fit. Good luck.

It's one of those pay me now or pay me latter deals for sure. The only question is how much aggravation you are willing to accept before you do the right thing so that you can go back to concentrating on your shooting instead of trying to make the gear work. :cheers:

Edited by Gregg K