Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Colt Competition Pistol Coming

R34PER

The only reason they're making any effort at it is because their government business has dried up and the only alternative is the consumer market, which they've largely ignored for the past 15+ years or so. As for Colt seeking input from or listening to their (potential) customers, don't count on it.

looks like a sub-par product at a fanboy price. Para had a really crappy reputation, but seemed to get in gear and made a decent enough competition 1911. there are just too many options for 1911s any more. you can have competition ready like an STI Trojan, as is has FO sights, good trigger, good guts, runs fine, and I'm OK with no magwell since people have favorites and different competitions have different rules.

Or you get entry level good guns like the RO. Good frame and slide, good enough guts, FO sights, great base to spend to customize. I have a fully customized to my spec ROC now that costs less then MSRP of a colt that would still need all that work.

The only reason they're making any effort at it is because their government business has dried up and the only alternative is the consumer market, which they've largely ignored for the past 30+ years or so. As for Colt seeking input from or listening to their (potential) customers, don't count on it.

FIFY

The price, at $899, makes it a little interesting, enough to draw in the unwary. Things it seems to be missing are:

1) front strap checkering, at least for the .45ACP version

2) ambidextrous thumb safety, handy for those weak-hand requirements in some stages

3) a magwell....

This is an 80-series gun, which would rule it out for me, because the firing pin safety adds about 1.5Lb to the trigger pull weight. Without spending more (on gunsmithing and parts) than the gun is worth to get that fixed, that's kind of painful.

I've got two Colt 1911s in .45ACP: an XSE and a Gold Cup, and both needed to have their hammer, hammer strut, sear, and disconnector replaced, just because I didn't like the materials or fit in the originals. They were thrown together inside, with the hammer strut pin not even staked.

So, I've convinced myself. No thanks. Pretty, but probably not what I'd call a competition pistol by a long shot.

Chris

Slight thread drift...doing a search for "Colt 1911" on Gunbroker, I am seeing bunches of brand new Colt 1911's in .38 Super.

I can't picture them being real hot sellers. It's not like Wally World is going to have box after box of .38 Super in their ammo case.

Edited by Chills1994

Slight thread drift...doing a search for "Colt 1911" on Gunbroker, I am seeing bunches of brand new Colt 1911's in .38 Super.

I can't picture them being real hot sellers. It's not like Wally World is going to have box after box of .38 Super in their ammo case.

The typical Colt buyer isn't worried about that. The only reason they would want ammo would be to add as a prop when they are setting up the photo shoot.

• 1 month later...