Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bought a new rifle now I need glass. Suggestions please!

450AK

In that price range a vortex Razor gen 1 can be had for sure. Another fantastic option is the Bushnell HDMR. (http://www.opticsplanet.com/bushnell-elite-tactical-riflescope-3-5-21x50-horus-34mm.html). In the event you are MIL/LE, you could probably get into a new gen 2 Razor for under $2k that is better in every category than any of the aforementioned scopes. If not, you can find used G2 Razors for under $2k pretty frequently here, on sniper forums or scout (sniper hide). Other good budget options are the SWFA line of scopes.

Other options at the top of your price point would maybe be a nightforce in the flavor you like. You can get into the lower end ones for under 2K and can find used higher end used ones for right around the $2K mark. A buddy of mine who is a military sniper instructor and placed very high (top 5 overall and won several individual COF's) in both Winston P Wilson and the international sniper comp at benning last year swears by NF. He owns USO, Vortex, Bushnell and a Premiere and prefers the NF over them all.

I have a Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x50 MIL-R illuminated reticle installed on my Rem700 AAC-SD, very happy with it, by far the nicest piece of glass I've used. Got a few chances to shoot to 600yards, and hope to be able to shoot to 800 yards with it next year as the facility adds capacity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The last few days there have been a lot of Vortex viper pst scopes for sale on the hide. Also some Bushnell 3-21 with g2 ret for pretty good prices. I think the scope to have right now is the Gen 2 razor, but it's a little over 2k, but like others have said, maybe you can deal yourself into one. For some true unopinionated info on what the best shooters are using, check out precisionrifleblog.com . I'm shooting a Bushy 6-24 with a g2 ret, but mine is the lower cost option with a 30mm tube and 5mil turrets. It is much less expensive, but you give up options at the lower price. They are about $900. I would much prefer 10 mils on the turret, but at the time it was a good scope in my price range. Scopes have come a long way in the last two years,and with your budget, you should do good. Keep in mind, at 2k, you will be able to buy a very good scope which is new, but you may be able to buy a great scope which is used. You are right there at that cutoff point. If I had that budget, I would shop for a great scope that was used, but you may feel different.

Thanks Called Shots, I will look into those. Then only two target scopes I have now are Leupold VX-3'S 6.5-20X50MM With side focus and target turrets. They have a fine plex. I like them but im looking to get some better glass for this rifle.

I've been looking at the Nightforce NXS 5.5-22×50 with the MOAR-T reticle. But I don't own one or know anyone that does.

i have this (56mm version, and MOAR reticle) on a LR bolt gun and have shot out to 1200 yards with no problems (other than my less than stellar wind calls), excellent scope, glass and everything.

You bought it! Congratulations.

I'd ask around and go to a few long range tactical competitions, if that is where you would eventually like to end up shooting, and see what those guys are using for the reticle, MOA/MOA or MIL/MIL. Ask any friends you might be shooting with too. The benefit of using what they area using is that they can help you get on target faster if you are using the same thing. If they are spotting with their scope, they can call your hits and corrections quickly if you are both using MIL or MOA glass.

wg

Hey Gene, yep I finally bought one. That's a lot of money for a non custom rifle but I've been wanting one for a long time. I figured with a half minute of angle guarantee and a chrome lined bore that supposed to be good for 10,000 rounds I couldn't go wrong. It took me forever to find one. From what I've been told they haven't made any since the middle of last year. Finally found a little gun shop in Kentucky that had one on the shelf. I sent out payment yesterday so now I just have to hurry up and wait for it to show up. I definitely can see your point about the MOA vs MIL I'll have to look into that. I've always used badger ordinance rings are they still about the best thing going?

Edited by 450AK

That is a good deal on that Burris. Badger still makes good rings as well as Seekins and Vortex. The people who can afford the Spuhr go that route when they can, as it is regarded as the best. I would like to have one on my rifle, but they sure are proud of their stuff.

If your thinking of the Burris I would definitely go with there newer reticle (SCR) and I would also get the mil version the biggest reason being everyone else will be using and talking in mils. The SCR reticle hard to find right now but I am told they should be back in stock this month.

What type of matches will you end up shooting with your A3G? F Class? PRS? Just plinking? On my A5 I'll be running a Bushnell 4.5-30XRS in Mil, and my .223 trainer has a Nightforce NXS 8-32x in MOA and on my .22 I'm running a VX-3 Target 6.5-20x. All are good scopes but all do something different.

As for MOA vs MIL, I find its whatever you feel the most comfortable with, I do fine with either my XRS or NXS. The reason I choose the XRS for PRS style competition is its a hell a lot easier to adjust for 8.4 Mils of elevation then it is 23.25 MOA on the clock. That and everyone serious about PRS seem to be running MILS

To be honest I'm not sure where I will end up. I've always been a very competitive pistol shooter but as far as rifles go I've just always shot for fun. I love to ground hog and coyote hunt and I go to Wyoming every June for two weeks to shoot prairie dogs. I love to shoot that's the reason I bought the rifle I did. I'm on the forth barrel on my 264 win mag deer rifle and on my second 6.5-284 barrel I use for ground hogs. I have a 1000 yard range 20 minutes from my house so I'm sure once I start hanging out there I'll jump into whatever they shoot there on a regular bases. On both of the mentioned rifles I have leupold 6.5-20x50 fine plex with target turrets. All of the shooting that I do is with a range finder but I would like to change that. I had a 5R for awhile that was a hammer it would shoot 175gr match kings in the .4s on a regular bases if I did my part. Sold it to buy another open gun and have been kicking myself ever since.

As for MOA vs MIL, I find its whatever you feel the most comfortable with, I do fine with either my XRS or NXS. The reason I choose the XRS for PRS style competition is its a hell a lot easier to adjust for 8.4 Mils of elevation then it is 23.25 MOA on the clock. That and everyone serious about PRS seem to be running MILS

This is what I've figured out, but on the other hand, unless you are at the right match that has a tactical class for the 308's, you aren't going to be super competitive with the 308 either.

It sounds like you have all you bases covered and can shoot well enough already, so unless you do plan to compete, go with whatever you are comfortable with. If you hadn't added that you have the 264 or the Norma, then I would say try the Mil glass.

I sure would consider the Burris for the money, just make sure you can look through one since you are accustomed to Leupold glass already. I LOVE my Leupold glass. You may as well look at the Kahles stuff too. They get overlooked and are excellent glass.

wg

I would look for a used 5.5 x 22 NXS. I have purchased a couple and the are great all around. Buying used cab save you hundreds and the NF warranty is lifetime and they are awesome to deal with if you ever have a problem.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk