Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pistol Grips On Shotguns?

atek3

why do I see them so infrequently at 3gun matches?

I overheard a guru explaing that they "slow you down" but I don't know why. if they are good on rifles, wouldn't they be good on shotties?

please chime in.

thanks,

atek3

If you reload your shotgun with your strong hand I could see where the pistol grip stock may get in the way. I reload with the weak hand and actually find the pistol grip stock makes it easier to keep the shotgun at the shoulder with the muzzle pointed toward the target. YMMV

I have converted to a pistol grip this season, and like it. As a kid, I grew up with field stocks, and when I started in 3gun, field stocks where what felt comfortable. My first try on a pistol grip was not enjoyable and confusing. Using a pistol grip stock on a shotgun can cause more muzzle flip, so that could slow your down times. You must learn to use the pistol grip correctly, and do not push the grip forward on recoil, which will make the gun pivot up on your hand instead of on your shoulder. This is very hard not to do, but when you figure it out, the gun becomes very manageable again. The biggest reason I changed to a pistol grip is because I can run a much shorter stock. Field stocks can only be shortened to the point of where you strong hand will be on your cheek, which is not good on recoil. With a pistol grip, I now run a length of pull of 11.5" on my Benelli, and if it were not for the buffer tube in the stock, I would like to go to 10.5". The OAL of the shotgun is now shorter, making it easier to mount and swing, get in, out and through tight ports and hallways. I predict that you will see more pistol grip stocks in 3gun, once these benefits are realized.

They look cool too ;)

Beven talked me out of going to a strait stock and with his advise to not overgrip the grip it is work ing pretty well for me. I am loading strong and weekhand and the grip never get's in the way. I'm no guru with shotguns, but I like the shorter. lighter shotgun. Also it feels more like my AR so the practice has some transferance.

For loading weakhand, the pistol grip is probably a requirement. I don't think I could ever get used to a pistol grip on a SG. Don't ask me why it's OK on and AR and not on a SG, but it just feels REALLY awkward to me.

I use, and have used a PG stock on a Gold / SX / remmy and have done for years, the PG is good for the weak hand loading but to be honest I now find a straight stock is as fast if not faster and I am thinking of converting back !!

Speedfeed IVs PG's IMHO are the best to buy and will serve you well - PM me with your e mail address for an e mail outlining how to convert them for an SX or Browning. :ph34r:

post-2653-1112561265_thumb.jpg

The reason the pistol grip works so well on a rifle is that the bore is inline with the top of the stock and the sights are about 2 1/2" above the the bore line. Now with the shotgun the sight systwem is right ontop of the bore, there for the "pistol grip" stock on the shotgun has a lot of drop. This causes two things to happen. Under recoil the shotgun tends to rise high and right ( for a right hand shooter) much more than a standard stock that has much less drop, and I have yet to see a "pistol grip" shotgun stock that would allow the shotgun to be brought to the face WITHOUT having to drop the head to some degree. It is MUCH more critical to keep your head down on a "pistol grip" stock than the standard. Any time I watch a Pistol grip shotgun miss it is almost always high. Shooting from strange positions is very challenging for the pistol grip design as the natural tendency is to keep the head as erect as posible and this would pull the face/eyes away from the sight/bore line. The other draw back is that there is a tendency to drop your strong side shoulder while holding a pistol grip, this causes even more of the pronounced right jump under recoil. It isn't mandatory to run a "pistol grip" while weakhand loading. I find them to be very uncomfortable while loading from the shoulder and far prefer the "standard stock". Many top shootwers have switched back after playing with "pistol gip" shotguns for these very reasons, but as with most things, if you like it and it works for you why not? KURTM

I had a PG stock on my Benelli M3 I carried on duty. It was perfect to hold the shotgun while opening doors, moving suspects, room clearing, weak hand reloads while staying on target, etc. So I was used to it when I got a Benelli for competition.

I found I have a greater tendency to smack my nose upon recoil with a straight stock which caused me to adjust my grip and cheek weld to a different and unnatural position. I found I missed more often doing this. The PG stock eliminated that problem. (the smacking my nose and unnatural position, I can still miss :blink: ).

The straight stock does have an advantage on reloading when turning the shotgun upside down and loading stronghand. The PG can get in the way.

I have both stocks but just feel more comfortable with the PG right now. They really have pros and cons and it's just what feels right for you.

Steroids and a bat. :D:D

Standard stock is the most common, but Taran sometimes runs a pistol grip, although I didn't see him with it at SMM3-G, I may just not have noticed. As an aside I have NEVER liked the E-2 stock for My beloved M-14 for the exact same reasons I posted above.

Jerry, Jimmie, Mike, Matt, Benny, Jeff, Myself and Todd ALL run regular stock configuration, as do Eddy Rhodes, David Neth, Tony Holmes, Shawn Carlock, and last but not least both Pat Kellys. If I missed any one OTHER than Kelly Neil ( who also runs a standard stock ). Feel free to chime in! KURTM

• 5 months later...

Regarding pistol-gripped stocks, Bevin Grams has advised success with an 11.5" LOP on a Benelli, and recommended the shortened Speed-Feed PG stock over a modified factory Benelli stock. The standard Speed feed LOP is 13".

For application on a Remington 1100, I would like to try the Speed-Feed LOP modified to 11.5" with a the stock Speed-Feed recoil pad or a Sims pad.

It appears that shortening the Remington is limited by the length of the stock retaining nut.

I would appreciate any input to shortening to 11.5" or how much less than 13" an 1100's LOP can be reduced. Thanks.