Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

45 lc question

rustybayonet

Hello: I think the problem you will have is getting all the components in the 410 shell that is that short. You would have to use a fiber wad of some kind and then trying to crimp it would be a problem unless you roll crimped it. Anything is possible but it may be easier just buying a judge or governor. Thanks, Eric

Hello: I think the problem you will have is getting all the components in the 410 shell that is that short. You would have to use a fiber wad of some kind and then trying to crimp it would be a problem unless you roll crimped it. Anything is possible but it may be easier just buying a judge or governor. Thanks, Eric

It would be nice if they made governor with a longer barrel.

There was a shorter version of the 45 Colt in the olden days. Mike Venturino has written extensively about them, you might look through older copies of "Handloader" for the details. The 45 "short" had the smaller rim diameter of the "long Colt", and should not be confused with the 45 S&W Schofield.

Here's a little help, since I know I'll be called out on it: http://www.lasc.us/TaylorLongShort45Colt.htm

Edited by anachronism

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php?topic=25864.0

There never was an official 45 Short Colt or a 45 Long Colt. The US Government re-designated the specs for the 45 Colt round in 1878 and all government contract 45 Colt rounds had a 1.1" case length, exactly like the Schofield round. There were not Schofield rounds, though. The shorter ones were still called 45 Colt and it was the civilian market that brought about the use of "Long" to describe the longer ones. I suspect the reason for the change was so the 45 Colt round could fit in a Schofield pistol if need be. To answer your question, I've never heard of a Fiochi 45 Short Colt. Here's a picture showing originals of the long 45 Colt and the shorter 45 Colt Government rounds I found online a while back in an article about them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A friend owned a 10" T/C Contender in .45 Colt, and we'd try to hit clay birds with it at short distances. It was more fun and edifying than practical, but it left some lasting lessons. The pistol came with a detachable "shredder tube", designed to slice up the shot cup on the CCI-SPEER .45 Colt "rat shot" loads. It worked okay with .410 shot shells, too, but DO NOT leave the thing attached when shooting a single-projectile .45 Colt round through it. You'll end up with what resembles a single-shot, 10" barreled, .45 Colt caliber "trombone".

A friend owned a 10" T/C Contender in .45 Colt, and we'd try to hit clay birds with it at short distances. It was more fun and edifying than practical, but it left some lasting lessons. The pistol came with a detachable "shredder tube", designed to slice up the shot cup on the CCI-SPEER .45 Colt "rat shot" loads. It worked okay with .410 shot shells, too, but DO NOT leave the thing attached when shooting a single-projectile .45 Colt round through it. You'll end up with what resembles a single-shot, 10" barreled, .45 Colt caliber "trombone".

Now that is funny. LOL