Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Redi-Mag

Steve Moneypenny

SDOLLARS:

Who uses them? Well Benni does sometimes, I have seen Jim Clark use one once as well as Jerry. In most the big matches you usally see 4 or 5. They are still enough of an oddity that you notice them when you see them. They are of some help when a static relaod is requiered or prone reload. ( about .3-.8 sec savings). The down side is that if you don't have a good grip on the left hand mag its gone, and I have seen them jar the left hand mag loose when really slamming into positions; maybe not set up right, I don't know. If not kept tight, the bracket can move  and jam, or not hold the left hand mag. What Patric said about covers it. If you practice and really like it great! If not well matches have been won without them too.                    KURT

Regarding the Mag Cince, pretty much what Kellyn said. You can do a super quick standing reload like in a standards type stage, but when you're running and loading it's just as hard to find the mag well as with pulling one off the belt. I take mine to every match just in case there is a mandatory standing reload otherwise I don't use it.

• 1 month later...

As far as the shotgun sidesaddle goes, I finished up a stage at a 3-gun, put it in the rack with 2 rounds left in the sidesaddle, and only through pleading ignorance was allowed to continue with the match. This match went by USPSA rules and according to the Match Director, what I did was a no-no.

For safety's sake and common courtesy to other shooters, you would think no ammo should be on the gun. But I sure would like to know what the official rules are about that too.

The redi-mag is a visual bomb to an RO, and as such deserves to be treated separately from the shotgun thing. It makes sense to require it to be kept empty between stages. IMO, anyway.

The only problem I see with the side-saddle (or slide lock, two-pack for that matter), is forgetting it's there, and winding up with ammo on the shotgun in a safe area if you un-case there.

Regards,

(Edited by George at 1:01 am on Feb. 5, 2003)

• 7 years later...

I know this is an old thread but I'm trying to post in existing threads rather than starting new ones.

I have found that the Redi-Mag is GREAT when paired with Magpul's B.A.D. lever.

Edited by Pro2AInPA