Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

We have a .22 steel match at our club every month and so far no problems with ricochets. For full sized plate racks they usually prop the front up w/ a 2x4 to help the plates find their way down a bit easier. Then they bought little plates :angry: which fall down just fine "if" you hit em'. ;)

-ld

The only problem we have had at the steel matches I run with any caliber have been from jacketed bullets. The jacket can bounce back and ding you. With rimfire we have not noticed any problem. Hardly a scientifically valid sample, but that's been our experience for the last 9 months.

I think .22s on steel is safe, and I do it outside of the club. I think the issue is not the plates themselves, but the flat surfaces on the rack that may cause ricochet over the backstop. Also keep in mind that most of us are far safer than most everyone else, and that the rules are designed for the population as a whole. That said, I would be on board to try to change this rule, if we can come up with some data to support our opinion. We should be able to get others on board.

I have heard that one shoudn't use the subsonic .22. It isn't moving fast enough to really destruct when it hits the steel plate. There is a reason Steel Challenge rules specify a velocity floor.

But cheapo bulk pack from Wally World should be fine.