Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 super and autocomp

hittman21

Welcome aboard. :cheers:

I'd stick with the 115 MG's.

Start with 7 gr WAC and work up slowly, with a chrono.

If you take 10 minutes, and click on "FORUMS" (top left

corner of your screen), and then "Reloading" and then

"9mm/.38 super" you will find an entire year's worth of

discussion of how best to load .38 super.

Good luck with it. :cheers:

All, I am new to 38 super and would like some help with getting a load worked up.

I have a Brazos 4.5 Pro Sx .

powders I have Autocomp,cfe pistol,

Bullets I have Montana 115, and bayou 124

Any help will be great thanks.

Bob has two powders he recommends for his guns. I would not use autocomp. That gun requires a pretty heavy dose of powder. Translated means high pressure. I would definitely not use any molly bullet in that gun.

The Brazos 4.5 is a short barrel with several poople holes. The load for that gun with the wrong powder will be a high pressure load. I would call Bob directly and ask Bob's advise.

All, I am new to 38 super and would like some help with getting a load worked up.

I have a Brazos 4.5 Pro Sx .

powders I have Autocomp,cfe pistol,

Bullets I have Montana 115, and bayou 124

Any help will be great thanks.

Bob has two powders he recommends for his guns. I would not use autocomp. That gun requires a pretty heavy dose of powder. Translated means high pressure. I would definitely not use any molly bullet in that gun.

The Brazos 4.5 is a short barrel with several poople holes. The load for that gun with the wrong powder will be a high pressure load. I would call Bob directly and ask Bob's advise.

What powders does he recommend?

• 1 month later...

To the original topic: I just settled on switching to Autocomp as my new Open load.

7.4gr under a 124gr Berry's TP-HBRN @ 1.260" yields 171 PF out of my 5" Tanfo Custom, with no holes and a 4-port comp.

It's incredibly consistent, not just in charge weight, but also in velocities; it's probably the most consistent powder I've tried for Super.

Walkure - Did you try CFE Pistol or Silhouette or HS-6 before settling on Autocomp in your 38 super?

If so, what were your experiences and how would you rank them?

I did not bother picking up any CFE because I have read that it is very similar to WAC - some people on here have said that they could not tell a difference between the two in Major loads.

I have not seen any Silhouette available locally in quite some time, so no, I didn't try that.

I did try HS-6; the comparable load was 8.9gr. It was nowhere near as consistent, and I didn't care for the way it felt.

My baseline was 9.5gr of 3N38, which is a little bit flatter (also hotter, about 174 PF), but not as consistent. I decided to get away from 3N38 due to poor availability and expense.

I use the following for 38 super using a brazos thunder comp 2.

7.5 grains of autocomp

124 Montana Gold HP

CCI small rifle Primers

1.240 OAL

This works great on my STI with the above compensator. This makes about 170 PF.