Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Where To Buy A Texas Star?

Here we go again...

There are only two Stars out there that function as designed. Terry Ashton invented the darn thing, and he still makes them.

MGM worked out a amitable arrangement with Terry, and produces a rifle-grade Star.

The other, lesser, knock-offs (in my experience, and in the experience of Terry who fields phone calls to "fix my Star" from folks who bought the cruddy knock-offs) is that the latches don't work properly, the plates are not matched by weight so the Star won't return to the same spot after being reset...

Either buy the real Texas Star or the approved MGM Star; save yourself a lot of heartache and trouble later :)

Alex

R & R Racing is pretty dang good quality, and they support the sport around here also. I prefer his design for putting the plates on. I've had the others squash my toes with weak spring, so I may be biased. MGM are great guys too, so buy them from who gives you the best deal ;) This is America after all :)

L2S,

All you have to do is make sure you tell Terry and Linda whether you want the .22 springs or the pistol springs. Both hold the plates securely, the .22 springs just allow the smaller bullet going slower to knock off the plates.

Thanks,

Liota

I do not know who made the Texas Star I have available for matches here, but I do know it brings out the evil twin in some folks. I used it at this months steel match. We only shot it three times instead of 5 to speed things up since it had to be reset, there was no easy way to fix the plates. Two separate evil twins suggested painting one of the plates a different color and making it the stop plate rather than just having all 5 plates fall. That is just too good to pass up.... B)

The ones that crunched my toes were VERY well used, not bad mouthing the quality of the "Texas Star" one bit.

All that needs to be done is replace the worn out springs. Terry and Linda Ashton can help with that.

Aikidale,

I think you guys have the original Texas Stars.

• 3 months later...

Just got a Whirly Gig from Mike at MGM. We shot it this weekend at our monthly USPSA match and it woked great. It seems to turn a bit slower than the Texas Star design I've shot before which is great for our local matches. The A500 steel didn't have one pock on it so it should last forever. I'll be trying it out with shot soon.

Seems like the web site for the Ashetons is.....

WWW.Texastartargets.com or something real similar.....

GREAT PEOPLE, GREAT PRODUCT !!!!!

I have shot both, the MGM is a good product also, I preferr the Ashetons but everyone has their own opinion.

Mike Gibson really supports our sport as do the Ashetons so either way I don't think you can go wrong.

SAM KEEN

• 1 year later...

IMHO I dont like how MGM attaches the plates to the star. Light loads will take them off, but major power loads push the plate back against the spring, then they sometimes get slid back into the dovetail. I saw it happen at least 6 times last year at the PSA Shootout when I was ROing.....You could have picked my jaw up off the ground....It was mainly happening with guys shooting stock .45s or old SS .45 pinguns.....with at least one .40 shooting factory 180s if I remember correctly.... ;)

Just for your information....I love my other MGM targets too.... :wub:;)

DougC