Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

115gr vs 147gr

scowens

'tis ok. I am still willing to let you be wrong.

I'd say that's mighty big of you, but you'd have to know right from wrong to do that, so the offer rings hollow.

hohohohohohohohohohoho.

I'll let you enjoy the hollow sound too

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

levi and jack.

I appreciate the moderation attempt.

you may want to go back and look at who said what.

I am tired of being insulted.

If you think what I have said is something other than

being kind and consider of others

please state that and call in one of the moderation team.

miranda

Whew! Thanks for all the info....and entertainment :roflol: .​ It is now my opinion that the 147gr is slightly better, with the caveat that if you think the bullet you shoot is better, and can back it up, then it IS BETTER. I'm going to get some 147's and find out of myself - cool another reason to go to the range :goof:.

And Alaskapopo and Miranda; you are both wrong. You CANNOT CHANGE THE LAWS OF PHYSICS, NOR ANY FORMULAS. Reason: you have not asked my wife for permission. Bruhahahahaha

Now for my testing, sh​ould I shoot 2 mags (each mag has either 115's or 147's); OR a couple of mags of alternating 115s and 147s. Of course I'll have to work up matching loads......

Merry Christmas all!!!

Take care​

I shoot both, both in minor Bianchi Cup loads. I like the 115's in my 6" Metallic 1911 (9mm) because it cycles especially soft with the added slide mass. In my comp'd Bianchi Open gun (38SC), I like the 147's because it is less "blasty" from the comp when I'm shooting barricades and it recoils insanely soft, almost like an airsoft gun. It also puts 6 shots into .68" at 50 yards. :goof:

Mind sharing your 147 load?

Starline .38SC brass, 3.5gr of Bullseye, 147 XTP seated 1.21 with a medium taper crimp and a Federal SPP. Takes a light spring to run it in a comp'd gun. Feels like a paintball gun to shoot.

Getting about 930 fps and a PF of 136 or so???

... there is less room to argue over that?

I have not been able to see much difference betwixt the three.

the hollow points seemed a bit more centered but 124 and 147 versions were similar.

I think I'd run 147 HP for competitions from my pistol If I had to make major power factor.

miranda

i haven't been able to detect any accuracy difference in slowfire. In rapid fire i shoot more accurately with the 147's because I like them better.

what little i know of accuracy suggests that it's not just weight, but a combination of weight, diamter, oal, powder, crimp, voodoo and phase of the moon.

I think you will find a 147 9mm bullet driven to about 880 fps (need 851 for a 125 PF) to be 'softer'... less recoil, slower recoil pulse. I like them.

As for accuracy, I think that depends on the gun. But, if my guns will give me 2 inch 25 yard groups with a 124 grain bullet at 1050 fps (130) and I can get 2.5 inch with the softer 147 at 880 fps (129)... I'll take the 147. That lower recoil does make a difference over the course of a 200 round match.... and 2.5 vs 2-inch isn't worth discussing for IDPA, USPSA, or Steel Challenge.... the difference is really no difference.

It would also be nice if we could lose the obnoxious trolls on this thread.

I shoot both, both in minor Bianchi Cup loads. I like the 115's in my 6" Metallic 1911 (9mm) because it cycles especially soft with the added slide mass. In my comp'd Bianchi Open gun (38SC), I like the 147's because it is less "blasty" from the comp when I'm shooting barricades and it recoils insanely soft, almost like an airsoft gun. It also puts 6 shots into .68" at 50 yards. :goof:

Mind sharing your 147 load?

Starline .38SC brass, 3.5gr of Bullseye, 147 XTP seated 1.21 with a medium taper crimp and a Federal SPP. Takes a light spring to run it in a comp'd gun. Feels like a paintball gun to shoot.

Getting about 930 fps and a PF of 136 or so???

I'm getting around 960-980 as I recall, depends if I use my practice load (coated 147's) or my match load (XTP).