Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone use CMC power mags in SS

Superpipe9

I use them with the CMC extended base pads and a S&A magwell. I shot that gun almost exclusively for an entire season and had zero issues. After another season of intermittent use some of the magazines started developing a little friction in the magwell. Turned out the bodies had expanded a bit. You could detect the fat spot if you ran a caliper down the length.

After discovering that I asked around. I'm still not sure which to trust, but I've had some tell me it's normal and just expect to replace them every once in a while and others say they've had magazines for years and years and never that issue.

So I don't know if CMC Power mags leave a little on the table over other brands longevity wise or if they all develop similar issues over time.

Take the "innards" out and put them horizontally in a vise with the back out of the vise and gently squeeze them. Go slow and measure as you don't want to go to far and make them bind internally. All mags will do this after a lot of use, dropping while partially loaded makes it worse.

It's the same remedy as when the lips spread.

Yup, I ended up stumbling across that remedy at the time. Although the condition returned to mine quickly enough to support the opinion to just replace them. If I had to put a number on it I'd say maybe 3 matches and a couple were bulging again.

I figure next time I decide to put some time into Single Stack I'll replace them. The old ones will get fixed one more time and passed to friends that are lucky to put 200 rounds a year through their 1911s.

I started with CMC power mags in SS. I had issues with the followers sliding forward with a couple rounds left and preventing them from dropping free. I'm transitioning to Tripp mags and they've been 100% reliable.

I started with CMC power mags in SS. I had issues with the followers sliding forward with a couple rounds left and preventing them from dropping free. I'm transitioning to Tripp mags and they've been 100% reliable.

The + follower solved this.

I use the + versions with extended bases. Function very well, durable tubes/lips, lock in & release cleanly. I'm a fan.