Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Correct moon clips for 9mm WIN brass and FC brass

jriggs

So I separated out 1000 each of WIN and FC brass from my buckets....

So I'm getting all my stuff together for when my 929 gets back from the smith. What TK moon clips will work best with these. A few guys mentioned that the .40 moons would be best...sound right?

Thanks,

Riggs

The .040" clips don't really help and end up causing other problems, I went with the .035" from Dave and they are great. The Winchester brass usually fits the same as Starline in a clip. I say usually because there is some variance in the Winchester brass that I have checked, some of it is a little larger where the clip snaps in. Maybe they changed their supplier for their brass or they just change the specification a little.

Also...Is there any advantage to the blues clips over the S/S clips?

I use a Speed-E-Rack that I converted to use magnets. You need the blue clips to use any kind of a magnet rack. The SS clips don't stick well at all and any kind of real movement will sling clips. I think the newer Speed-E-Racks are magnet racks as well as another knock off version. The only down side to the blue clips is you will need to de-moon and wipe them down if you shot in the rain.

Gotcha....thanks. I thought that might have been part of it. I'm going to be running the moon clip server so the magnets aren't a big deal....

I'm happy that'll work cause they're half the price of the SS units :)

You must be looking at TK's web site. The blue moon clips that TK has for the 929 are about 1/2 price not because of the material that they are made from but because those are stamped moon clips and not EDM cut like the others.

While my sampling is rather limited, (250) rounds, I have had good success using the Revolver Supply .040 moon clips and F-C brass. The rounds are held

as tight as as any Hearthco or TK moon clip that I have seen. I have not experienced any binding issues or other problems related to the thickness of

these moon clips. I have also been quite pleased with the new Revolver supply moon clip loading tool. This is the tool I have been using to load the

.040 moon clips.

While my sampling is rather limited, (250) rounds, I have had good success using the Revolver Supply .040 moon clips and F-C brass. The rounds are held

as tight as as any Hearthco or TK moon clip that I have seen. I have not experienced any binding issues or other problems related to the thickness of

these moon clips. I have also been quite pleased with the new Revolver supply moon clip loading tool. This is the tool I have been using to load the

.040 moon clips.

Pictures would help. Lets see the new tool.

I have found that in my 929 Winchester Brass worked best with .035 thick moon clips but resulted in "Extraction issues" I then tried FC brass which eliminated the extraction issues but resulted in light strikes (Same main spring Tension) I ordered the ,040s for the FC Brass which fixed the light strikes and eliminated the extraction problems. I have found the grove diameter on some 9mm brass from the same manufacturer varies more than .010" .

I'm also running Revolver Supply .040 extreme clips and Federal brass in my 929. The brass is held tightly. I just get them close to the cylinder and toss them in. They fall right in every time. As far as tools, I'm using the BMT Mooner and the Deluxe Moon Clip Tool from mooncliptool.com. I'm running them from a moon clip server in the front an a double post in the back for a couple extras. I'm plenty happy with all of this equipment.

I have the .035 Hearthco (not TK) and they work well with Win brass, some are pretty tight though and will not spin. The FC brass is very hit and miss with these moon clips. Some are perfect, some are tight and will not spin and others are so loose they fall out of the moon clip. Since I have a vast majority of the FC brass I am going to try the .040 Revolver Supply and see how I like them.

I have started using some of the DAA magnetic moon clip holders and find that the blued steel stick very tight. During reloads it is noticeable but manageable, but the stainless definitely are easier to work with. The magnets are strong enough that the stainless sticks and the moon clips do not go flying off while running, but come off with moderate force for a reload.

Edited by ihocky2

I got a new moon clip loading tool. The mark one hemostat. Cheap and effective. For Christmas I am splurging on needlenosed pliers with a spring in the middle. If Cliff Walsh can load em with pliers...I can too.

Hearthco or TK .035 works well with Fed and Win, but like Mike said...some Win are stiff.

That mooner is not very far removed from the one I built but mine has a feed tube that is also notched so it can demon as well.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/th_mooner.mp4

I have always enjoyed your gizmos and modifications. Very cool. Your automated Master-Caster has me wanting to build one myself Thanks for posting so many cool gizmo videos.

so is too tight just as bad as too loose? I've got a bunch of WCC stamp brass and it fits really tight in the .40 from revolver supply . should the brass spin in the moon or is it ok if it's snug?

My F-C headstamp brass spins in the .040 moon clips. I always found that if the brass spins I don't have any problems with that moon clip.

I have seen other shooters use the spin test to confirm the acceptability of their brass / moon clip combo.

Got it....WCC stamp brass....sorted a few K and then started test fitting. About 40% was good to go.

It's the moon on the left. To the right are .35 nickel and blue.

Nice and snug...no wiggle...should be good now!

Thanks for the help everyone :)

post-48412-0-71227700-1449698376_thumb.j

Edited by jriggs