Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is Faster More Accurate?

Ghorsley

Went out to practice some Bill Drills the other day after a brief layoff. I started slow, watched my sights rise and fall back on target and my accuracy sucked. Even after going thru my mental check list, I still was out of the game. Couldn't hit sh.t. Before I packed it in, I put six on the target much faster, my sights close to being a blur, almost like shooting a very close target. When I went to paste, nothing but tight A's! I did it again with the same result. What's going on with this?

Went out to practice some Bill Drills the other day after a brief layoff. I started slow, watched my sights rise and fall back on target and my accuracy sucked. Even after going thru my mental check list, I still was out of the game. Couldn't hit sh.t. Before I packed it in, I put six on the target much faster, my sights close to being a blur, almost like shooting a very close target. When I went to paste, nothing but tight A's! I did it again with the same result. What's going on with this?

What is commonly called muscle memory, although muscles actually can't remember. From practice, your brain lays down wiring to do the function without conscious direction. When you got into that mode, performance improved.

You were overthinking it before. Ramp things up to speed and sometimes we are capable of showing ourselves that we can do a lot subconsciously.

To me, it looks like you just showed yourself that you can "just shoot" and not think so hard about it. Let it keep happening.

I went through something similar in my first practice back from my hunting hiatus. I was so focused in on doing everything right because I knew some rust had settled in that it hurt my performance. I was overthinking things. Sometimes you need to lace up the Nikes and "Just Do It".

I often find I shoot faster and more accurately when I don't necessarily try or even really care about my performance.

That was always true for me.

Isn't that the same as saying you're not thinking about your performance ?

If I don't consciously think about what I am doing then I always perform better.

Not completely. There may have been some thinking going on, as in planning what I was going to do. And also visualizing what I needed to see. But it was all done with detachment. No care about whether I did what I planned to do, or not. It's a difficult state to reach.

If I don't consciously think about what I am doing then I always perform better.

Always. (When the doing happening.)

• 3 weeks later...

Not completely. There may have been some thinking going on, as in planning what I was going to do. And also visualizing what I needed to see. But it was all done with detachment. No care about whether I did what I planned to do, or not. It's a difficult state to reach.

Always. (When the doing happening.)

Thank you

• 4 weeks later...