Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Moon Clip checker.

Ty Hamby

Revolver Jockey used to make these. He has decided he no longer wants to. Does anyone else make something similar. Even an off label measuring device would work. Any Ideas? Couple guys at my club want one.

I think it is just 3 pieces of bar stock with a few thousandths milled out and drilled together. I love mine and not parting with it.

post-21005-0-78787600-1448082044_thumb.j

Edited by Ty Hamby

TK and others sell a device that check a loaded moons to verify it fits into cylinders. I own several of those from each company in various configurations. I am looking for something that checks blank clips. The round checking devices will allow bent clips to pass. The go-nogo gauge like in the first photo will ensure your clips are flat. I have many gizmos Tom offers. I need a source for a go-nogo clip gauge.

post-21005-0-86020200-1352438978_thumb.j
Edited by Ty Hamby

Just stack your moonclips with their edges aligned. It's real obvious which ones in the stack aren't flat...

This... I have a dowel mounted vertical in a wood block to stack the clips on. Hold up to a light and anything odd will stand out..

Everyone's suggestions I already do. The go-nogo gauge performs better and assists in straightening. Tom's slam gizmo works well on full taco-ed clips. Revolver Jokey's go-nogo gauge takes the clip from 95% straight to 99%. The moon checker that every revolver supply house sells only verify's the cartridges while clipped will fall into a cylinder. This test can pass but still allow a round to bounce when struck by the firing pin. I own all three 1)TK's straightener 2) Toms and Revolver supply moon-clip checker 3) Revolver Jokey's Go-Nogo clip gauge.

I am happy. I am only asking others if anyone knows where other members can go to get a go-nogo gauge made for themselves. I think they work great and there is a market for them if someone is willing to manufacture a batch. I am happy to help where I can. Your first 2 are already sold.

• 2 weeks later...

I know a guy who's retired and has a wicked machine shop that he still "tinkers" in

I'm more than happy to ask about this as a project....I know he's probably work something out.

I'll get back to you in a few days...

Ty: Which revolver are you interested in getting a moon clip holder for? If it is a 627 what thickness of clip are you using. I have made a few for both 625s and 627s. Send me your info and address via PM and I will send you one. The only condition is you send me feedback.