Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pros and cons to 5.25 Open gun?

Rudukai13

So over the last few months I've been posting various questions trying to gather information for my planned open gun build. I've settled on using either an M&P Pro in 9mm minor, or a Glock 35 or XDM converted to .357SIG as the base for it and am currently leaning towards the XDM. My question regarding the platform is as follows;

In my research I've looked for other examples of open guns built on the three platforms I'm looking at. In looking through examples of XDM open gun builds, I'm noticing far more people have chosen the 4.5" model to use as a base over the 5.25 Competition model, though I have found a few examples of comped 5.25 guns. What are the pros and cons to using the longer barrel as an open platform? Why is it that most seem to prefer the shorter barrel when adding a comp and optic? Is there a distinct disadvantage to using the 5.25 as a base platform?

I should note - I am not currently set up for reloading, and won't have the space or time to do so any time soon, so I'll be using factory ammunition. In addition, my goal is not to build this pistol to WIN competitions, but more so to have something fun and a bit different to take to the range and to have FUN in competition when I'm able to participate.

Edited by Rudukai13

I built a G35 into an Open gun and never saw the longer barrel as a disadvantage. The slide weighs the same as the 4", so that shouldn't be an issue. Also, the longer barrel should yield greater velocity.

Most feel the excess weight out on the end of the barrel eventually with longer guns when adding a comp. that's why you see more 4-4.5" guns converted. i.e Glock 17's in favor of 34's. BUT, if you really want to just have fun with it and not live or die with it in competition.

Another thing to consider, as much as I'm not a fan, you could just stick a slide ride dot on it and shoot Carry Optics. Especially if you're not going to reload ammo that will have enough gas to work the comp to its potential anyway.

I don't really have any interest in a slide-mounted optic, I'll be using a Carver scope mount on whatever I decide to build. I was told .357SIG would create enough gas to make a compensator effective?

excellent call on frame mounted optic. Isn't 357 sig expensive? Since you already giving up mag capacity I would just go with a .40 and make sure the comp you get will maximize the load. But you're right, factory 357 will surely work for you!

• 3 weeks later...

Here's my .357sig build on a M&P .40. I've since added a brass magwell. Currently have 3 140mm and 1 170mm mags. The Taran Tactical extensions are really nice and I wish they had a 170mm. Unfortunately they don't so I bought a Taylor Freelance.

post-49618-0-66764800-1449620333_thumb.j

Here's my .357sig build on a M&P .40. I've since added a brass magwell. Currently have 3 140mm and 1 170mm mags. The Taran Tactical extensions are really nice and I wish they had a 170mm. Unfortunately they don't so I bought a Taylor Freelance.

Moderators, please delete this M&P post that ended up in an XDm thread' :roflol:

• 2 weeks later...

Even if you don't plan to reload I would go with 9mm and just shoot minor. I did it for a while with my XDM open gun and had a ton of fun doing it. You get better mag capacity and cheaper ammo. The comp still helps with minot PF ammo. JMHO

FWIW I put a Carver Hunter mount on my XMD 4.5 in 40 S&W, a Millet Multipoint red dot, a Pistol Gear magwell and mags w/ Springer extensions and went out to play. It ain't pretty, I call it Frankenblaster, but it runs 100%, makes major, is a ball to run and I don't have $3K invested nor have ammo headaches. Perfect for a fat old man that's shooting for fun anyway. Rated C in Open. YRMV. (^_^)