Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Flawed Logic ?

bobert1

Ok Shooters, Let me know if I'm nutz. Bought some NATO 9mm ammo. It is supposed to be +P ammo. More powder and 124 gr bullet. Or so the various info I've read on it says. I used it today for the first time at MR&P, a local shoot. My thinking is if I learn to control this hotter load now, when I go to the bigger matches and drop back to WWB ammo I'll see better control.

I couldn't agree more. Consistency and knowing your own equipment is vital to becoming a better shooter. You body will acclimate itself to the timing of your pistol, where everything you do will be subconscious.

OK, I needed that cleared up. Thanks. Now all of you make me doubt my other Logic. I thought if I purposely gained an extra 100 lbs to strengthen my legs. I could then loose the weight and my now stronger legs would help me move faster between targets. Flawed Logic Again ??? :lol:

If flex's isn't heavy enough I will get you a load bearing vest so you can carry the gear of the whole squad.

Recoil is perceptive. first of all YOU don't control a gun in recoil. you allow the gun to do it's intended purpose while you are observing it. Any attempt to control a recoiling gun are merely conscious thoughts which cannot be implemented fast enough to be of use.

The gaining to lose weight thing... thats almost funny, because without some type of training ritual, your muscle will deteriorate at a rate faster than fat loss. (yes i know it was a joke :P

My theory that heavier recoiling ammunition allows your body to learn the cycle of the in a more harsh intent. I also believe that it is mainly a perception that helps you learn to see better is the only reason many people seem to be able to shoot a minor gun faster than a major gun. I am one of these people i can shoot minor faster than major almost any day.

My advocacy on this is to train with a MAJOR .. not a less fluffy 9 round in the off season, Many times recoil shows weakness in grip, stance, and follow through. but when your practicing for matches allow 2K rounds to perfect your timing, and do NOT change anything during the season.

I agree if you want to become truly proficient with your weapon system you should practice the way you intend to compete. The answer to the recoil mangement lies in the grip and ensuring that the F/S follows the same path each time rather than figuring out how to have less muzzle flip.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but didnt BE say in his book that his practice ammo runs 50 to 100 fps faster than his match stuff? If I am correct (and I might not be) wouldnt that be to achieve the same thing Bobert is suggesting?

I see less flip in a match than practice. Maybe I just grip harder or I focus better . I would make different ammo just because then I would have to keep track of it :) 170 pf for everything I shoot major. Screwing around with loads isn't what I want to do. I've seen to many good shooter go minor trying to hit 165

I used to load submajor practice ammo to save my Limited gun (advice from more experienced shooters, back in the days of 175 PF floor/load to 180 PF). With the PF down to 165, I load everything to major at 170 to 175.

My practice load is actually faster than my match load, since I use a different powder and bullet (I plan to eventually go to only shooting my match load, if I can afford it). And I've been using my backup gun, which has a bushing barrel and a light guide rod, compared to the tungsten sleeved bull bbl and guide rod in my main match gun. This gun definitely kicks more than my match gun with my match load - the latter almost feels like shooting a nine now.

Despite the difference, or maybe because of it, and with my experience running contrary to the advice above, I've been shooting better since I've been shooting this way. I think that shooting a "high major" round in a lighter gun shows up and makes me correct flaws in my technique more. 'Course, it may be more the # of rounds I'm now shooting, and the fact that I am practicing a bit more seriously now, that's making the difference, and maybe I'd be improving even faster using my match load.

A while back I polled here and found most people shoot their match load in practice. I'd like to do that, but I gotta think, now that I'm trying to practice more, whether I'm willing to spend the extra $1000/year that it'd cost me.

Just a middlin' B, muddlin' through... ;)

Brian himself practiced the falling plates at twice the match distances. Controling recoil doesn't mean much until you are truly, truly good, and then it means nothing at longer or really short ranges, only at mid distances.

Sixx, wow. Great post. And your first. Welcome to the Benosverse.

If I could restate and attempt to push your statement a little further, recoil is only important at the middle ranges, say 10-25 yards? Recoil is irrelevant at "hoser" range and at longer ranges where you need a "better" sight picture anyway. An extremely accurate load would therefore be more important than a soft shooting load if you follow this line of reasoning out. That's a break through for me. Thanks.

TomB