Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stainless Steel Guns Lubrication

Secretariat

Hello: I use Mobil 1 20W50 summer and 0W30 for winter. Never have a problem. If they build the gun with the correct materials they will not gall. If you buy a new gun clean it very well and lube it up. Run it and lube it up again. Then clean it after 500 rounds. Then again lube it up. Repeat for thousands of rounds and enjoy. Thanks, Eric

• 2 weeks later...

I have many stainless guns and the only one that ever showed any sign of galling was a Para (not much). If the gun maker adjusts the formula of the materials that ride against each other, galling can be eliminated.

you realize none of the gun manufacturers make their own alloyes right?

Rig +P is the old standby for stainless. When the AMT hardballers and other early stainless bottom feeders were having galling issues that was the grease to use. I still use it on my Dan Wesson and cut it with a little FP10 or light oil. Works great.

But, any lube is better than no lube, especially with stainless.

Rig +P is the old standby for stainless. When the AMT hardballers and other early stainless bottom feeders were having galling issues that was the grease to use. I still use it on my Dan Wesson and cut it with a little FP10 or light oil. Works great.

But, any lube is better than no lube, especially with stainless.

Detonics recommended Breakfree for the Scoremaster and included a couple of bulbs of it in with the gun, but I found RIG +P grease to be superior. These days the metallurgy is heaps better and galling is almost unheard of in new guns.