Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone go over to Germany for Oktoberfest?

Looking for places to stay.. hopefully not exorbitant prices, but nice, in Munich and close enough to walk around the venues if that's possible.

Should I try to make opening weekend.. or any day is still pretty good?

tia.. Dave

i lived in augsburg (about an hour away ) for 6 years. Unless you want to get drunk with a bunch of australian tourists, I'm not sure why you would want to go to oktoberfest. every city and town in germany has their own more authentic less touristy fests that also have delicious beer and roast chicken. Many smaller towns have a weekend fest with one bierhall, but there are larger scale ones too. Here's one I used to really enjoy in augsburg. back in the 80s it had 3 bierhalls from the major breweries in town. now it apparently has 4. here's a link:

http://www.destination-munich.com/augsburg-plarrer.html

Anyone go over to Germany for Oktoberfest?

Looking for places to stay.. hopefully not exorbitant prices, but nice, in Munich and close enough to walk around the venues if that's possible.

Should I try to make opening weekend.. or any day is still pretty good?

tia.. Dave

Yes, I was there in Berlin for three years back in the 60's. The real Oktoberfest actually started in September....

http://www.oktoberfest.de/en/article/About+the+Oktoberfest/About+the+Oktoberfest/Dates+and+General+FAQs/751/

When will the Oktoberfest 2015 take place?

On Saturday, September 19th, the Schottenhamel tent is the place to be, if you want to catch the official opening ceremonies.

Edited by bountyhunter

Oktoberfest is the shiznit! I think I made it 4 or 5 times back in the day. It's quite a spectacle with beer tents the size of football fields. BUT it's crowded as hell and when you get up to go pee on the wall you can lose your seat quick.

Fun times!