Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stretch 16" (melonite) barrel - muzzle velocity

flyfishdave

Put together a limited class 'lightweight' 16" build using the Stretch 16" (.223 Wylde) melonited barrel.

With Freedom Munitions (new) 55gr .223, the Ohler 35P calculated the following:

AVG = 2825 fps

STD = 21

(25 shots)

Same ammo in a 18" JP .223 Wylde: (tested a few months ago)

AVG = 2874 fps

STD = 17

(29 shots)

Surprisingly, only a difference of about 50 fps b/t the 16" and 18" barrel. Both uppers have a JP LMOS bolt carrier group, SLR adjustable GB, SJC Titan brake and were shot using the same lower which has a JP silent captured spring setup, I think with the 90% spring.

The Stretch 16" with a tuned GB and LMOS guts shoots appreciably softer than an off the shelf 16" carbine setup.

Question for you regarding the FM 55s.

How well does the Stretch 16 group with that ammo? My Noveske 1x7 SS 16" doesn't shoot FM 55s worth a crap. like 2-3" @ 100 yds. BHs Reman 69s around an inch. Federal GMM 69s around .7" at 100. So I don't think its me...rather that specific ammo.

Thanks

Nick

How well does the Stretch 16 group with that ammo? My Noveske 1x7 SS 16" doesn't shoot FM 55s worth a crap. like 2-3" @ 100 yds. BHs Reman 69s around an inch. Federal GMM 69s around .7" at 100. So I don't think its me...rather that specific ammo.

Thanks

Nick

I have several 5 shot groups at 50yds like this with my Stretch and FM 55gr reman ammo.

post-55804-0-83308200-1446679508_thumb.j

Thanks

Nick

I have several 5 shot groups at 50yds like this with my Stretch and FM 55gr reman ammo.

When you going to "stretch" it out further than 50 yards?

I've got it out to 400 just recently, but only on steel so I don't have any precise group measurements. I also rarely shoot from prone but off the lowest ledge of my 3GN barricade in a reverse kneeling/ sitting position it was very easy to keep everything around the six inch range at 400. I'm sure the barrel is capable of far better though.

Thanks

Nick

That is about what you are going to get with a Noveske barrel. With the Nordic, JP and Stretch barrels, you will about cut your groups in half with the same ammo.

Thanks

Nick

That is about what you are going to get with a Noveske barrel. With the Nordic, JP and Stretch barrels, you will about cut your groups in half with the same ammo.

That explains a lot (I have the same barrel) have you ever checked the ES? I can never get below 125fps (10rds) on this barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by gunther