Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Overwhelmed with dot mount options.... reg,90,45,setback,etc

Punished

Well, I went with the majority and bought a CK vert mount and cmore with 6moa from a member on here. I figure I'll start with what the majority is shooting and lets see how it goes. That and I played around with dry firing at home with another sight taped sideways to my slide, while the height was great, my transitioning from right to left was slower as my peripheral was thrown off. I did this for 10min or so and then flipped my sight to normal and my vision felt normal again.

so, to say the least, lets see how my next 10,000 rounds go with the CK mount and then I'll play with someones 90* and see if I feel it will improve my shooting.

9mm 2011 Open guns - one with EMG Custom 90 degree with 6 MOA C-More, the other Cheely mount and RTS2. Both work well, and not really that much of an issue to go back and forth. Another benefit of either not mentioned is staying out of ejection path for potential issues vs traditional upright.

I don't know that I notice much that the RTS2 rig is 2 oz lighter because of optic (44 vs 42 oz total - 3 vs 1 something for optic). I think what bothers me the most about the traditional C-More is the horrible battery life I always seem to get even only having it turned on for each run. The RTS2 conversely is a joy with battery life. And knock on wood I haven't had the shut off problems many have had. At some point I'll probably do both RTS2, hope that helps.

Adding to this is the height over bore axis. 3 yard shots poi is closer to the dot and 30-40 yard shots are almost right on the dot with a 90 degree mount vs having to aim high in close and low at distance.

That's a good point, I know there's a difference on that but never quantified. Next time I have both guns out I'll measure exactly how different and post.

Someone should design a better scope to solve all these issues.

i'll be waiting.....

Hello: To shoot open use both eyes open. Once you do that left and right movement with a 90 degree mount is no problem. Don't forget target focus as well. Have fun, shooting open is great. Thanks, Eric

I do that with all my guns, scope or red dot or irons. That is why my speed is a GM but my hit factor is of a C.... charlie delta charlie delta delta mike!

It's a slow moving project, I seem to have less free time as I get older between work and kids. I found an issue during my extended testing last spring. Redesigned some stuff and did a ground up redo of my CAD model to clean it up after a few years of hacking and changing ideas. Ended up with the most complex and challenging part I've ever made. Required all new fixturing and programming. It also requires a new fixture for any iterations on the key dimension. I'm on V6 of that part, its what makes the adjustment range be in the center - feel like this one is it just gotta hit the range. Then shoot some matches and see if the big change was a good one. All my Saturday matches have been canceled though and that was my open day, so that sux as well.

Some sneaky photos on my Instagram page, binaryeng there.

After some testing today I have definitely come to the conclusion as a righty shooter, new to open from limited-

vertical mount - favorite set up, clear vision no problems.

45 mount- 2nd place, clear vision, no problems, low bore height is nice but i'd hate to have to zero this thing. occasionally find my weakhand thumb made contact with the underside.

90 mount - not a big fan, it just bugged me being in my vision the way it was on the left as a blurry dark spot blocking my view.

Height above the slide bother anyone on the vertical mounts?

Lot of the ones I've seen have space between slide then big thick piece of metal center of the c-more lens is way up there.

It doesn't bother me, and frankly, when I watch great shooters, it seems it doesn't bother them much either. :)

Yes, lower would be better... but not at the cost of side mounting... me think.

Edited by Foxbat