Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mp22 c handgun

bodene 5

I don't have the compact model ©, but I have one of the early full size 22 models. It is a great 22 pistol that shoots well and more importantly feeds everything I stick in it. Lead, copper washed, high velocity, target ammo, subsonic ammo, it doesn't matter the type, it all feeds and functions. It rivals my Ruger MkII's and Buckmark's for reliability. I cant say the same for the Sig Mosquito, Walther P22, and a couple various 1911 22's. All had feed issues and only worked with certain brands of ammo.

I watched a full size and compact run at an action pistol match Saturday. The lady that was running the full size won the top shot and steel challenge tournament with it. A younger kid was running the compact and doing very well with it. The dad of the kid with the compact said it took 3-400 rounds before it was reliable. The lady running the full size stated that they rarely have failures with the full size and had zero that day.

Small sample but I've been looking at 22's for my son. I was considering a 22/45 lite but I'm now leaning toward the full size smith. Easier to break down and clean, similar ergonomics and operation to a "real" pistol.

I have the 22 Compact. Overall, a great pistol. I think mine has about 2000 rounds through it. I use it for teaching people how to shoot a pistol. My wife and son enjoy it quite a bit.

Avoid low quality bulk ammo and it works great. Anything over 1200 FPS is good. No need for high priced stuff. Mine will pretty much eat anything accept for Federal AutoMatch, and some of the other cheap crap.

Keep it clean as well. I use a little bit of Aeroshell on the slide and Mobil 1 5w40 for the rest.

I have 2 of the compacts. 1 has not missed a beat in over 600 rds. the other has 100 . all the scraps I have collected.

with a cheap green laser and a seahunter "can" its scary at nite. in my back yard.

the full size is made by walther and THE MAGS

the little 1 is made by s & w AND THE MAGS'

that's a hint.

usually works in a leather g-19 holster, or a s & w compact.due to a really bad back I carry in a shoulder holster,instead of on my belt. that rig works fine for the .22

with cci std its a 1" gun at 50 ft.

my gunsmith said the top frame was too light to add a red dot, hence the laser.

hope this helps.

jjw

Have both. Happy with both. Have run thousands of rounds through the full size, a few hundred through the compact. Both run well with, as Kaldor noted, a bit peppier ammo. If you want to duplicate the feel of the FS M&P, get the original .22. If you're looking for a smaller, lighter pistol, with a smaller grip, get the compact. If I had to keep only one, I'd probably go with the smaller compact (unless, again, I wanted to more/less duplicate the feel of the FS).

Have a red dot (RMR) on the larger one. DIdn't affect function that I can tell. Was thinking about trying one on the compact. Had not heard what jjw's smith said about the slide being too light. Wondering if that was reference to slide having too little mass, or being too thin?

as Kaldor noted, a bit peppier ammo.

Not so much peppier, but consistent ammo. I can run a mag of AutoMatch and maybe only get a couple of FTE/FTF's but then the next mag it will jam every shot. I think some of the stuff Ive run has been as low as 1100fps, but finding consistent quality ammo in that FPS range is the real problem.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the 22c. My daughter and wife prefer it to any other handgun. The safety is very 1911 like, frame and grip are very thin and my daughter can easily make headshots at 10 yds 9/10 times. I usually load it with cci minimags, but have ran Winchester super x, stingers and some 20 year old thunderbolts. The only ammo that has not been 100% has been the thunderbolts where I have had 4 or 5 ftf out of about 10 mags. Overall , I have over 500 rounds through it and it's a great gun for teaching new shooters or just practice for more experienced. I had an extra cmr201 rail laser that I put on just to play around with. The cmr201 is sighted at 50 ft and it's right on. Anyway, I highly recommend it.

• 2 weeks later...

check the inside of the top 1/2 will see mill markls where it was cut to match wt wanted

my guin smith is as good as it gets. in the pistol smiths guild

does all our work guns

thread bb;s

assemble ar/s

builds the most custom 1911's u ever saw

if u dio this email me privately I am needing to mount red dot but my guy says wont cycle.

he has never been wrong

lmk how this comes out

jjw

Edited by jjw

• 2 weeks later...