Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rear sights coming loose on a SP-01

bthoefer

I've got 2 SP-01s with the CZ competition rear sight. Both of them have worked themselves loose in the rear dovetail recently. Neither of the sights were filed on to fit them when they were installed.

I've used some red loctite on them now to hopefully keep them tight.

Does anyone have a better solution?

-mark where sight is zeroed (paint, tape, scratch, memory, marker whatever it takes for you to get it back to the same spot)

-unscrew the set screw(s)

-tap out the sight

-turn the sight over so you're looking at the bottom, the side against the slide

-take a brass punch and hammer a small "ding" or "dent" in the leading edge of the part that goes in the dovetail. always peen the sight as they can be replaced if you goof it up. much harder to do if you mess up the slide

-dry fit/test fit the sight (this will be a guess, check and refine process as you can peen it too much) if it isn't tight then i prefer to peen in another place as well, rather than just making one bigger and bigger.

-apply your choice of loctite in a clean dovetail

-tap sight back in to where it was good and zeroed before

-apply loctite to set screw and screw in

-wait

-mark where sight is zeroed (paint, tape, scratch, memory, marker whatever it takes for you to get it back to the same spot)

-unscrew the set screw(s)

-tap out the sight

-turn the sight over so you're looking at the bottom, the side against the slide

-take a brass punch and hammer a small "ding" or "dent" in the leading edge of the part that goes in the dovetail. always peen the sight as they can be replaced if you goof it up. much harder to do if you mess up the slide

-dry fit/test fit the sight (this will be a guess, check and refine process as you can peen it too much) if it isn't tight then i prefer to peen in another place as well, rather than just making one bigger and bigger.

-apply your choice of loctite in a clean dovetail

-tap sight back in to where it was good and zeroed before

-apply loctite to set screw and screw in

-wait

Thanks

I've got 2 SP-01s with the CZ competition rear sight. Both of them have worked themselves loose in the rear dovetail recently. Neither of the sights were filed on to fit them when they were installed.

I have had this happen several times, and here is what finally fixed it for me:

* Mark where the sight is zeroed (I took pictures and used the lines on the top of the slide vs the sight as a reference)

* Tap out the sight

* Clean the sight and dovetail with acetone, then rubbing alcohol (get any old loctite out, heat first if necessary)

* Take a hammer and punch and create small dings on the sight where it makes contact with the dovetail (not the gap)

* Put green loctite 609 in the dovetail and tap the sight back in to zero

* Put more green loctite in the set-screw hole to fill up the gap in the dovetail (not higher than where the set-screw threads start at the bottom)

* Let loctite set for 24 hours

* Put blue loctite on the set-screw threads and put the screw in

* Let loctite set for 24 hours

Note that a heat-gun might be needed to remove the rear sight in the future.

Edited by ES13Raven