Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Managing rifle recoil, how to tame that 308

co-exprs

Nice pairs. Very nice. I feel like a complete "rifle loser" now, but at least I have something to which I can aspire. Good technique tips for any 3-gun rifle work, in my opinion.

Watching Heavy Metal 3-gun was what got me interested in all of this. Why I never started with that division, I really can't remember now. Maybe the pump shotgun was a turn off at the time? It has a certain old school appeal these days. Oh well.

The video is appreciated very much. Thanks!

Mr. Payne posted it, so i would imagine he'll be along shortly to read it. Good stuff Mike, I watched one of your similar videos some time back and it changed my life for the better and I only shoot a 223...

Edited by TonytheTiger

Thanks Tony. I'm not one of the main stream guys so I often wonder if anyone actually tunes in to my stuff.

I shoot most of my stuff with a digital camera and a Sony Action Cam. I do my editing with Movie maker... cuz I'm on the starving dad's budget (teenagers are like locust). My feedback is that if you have a skill to share, get out with whatever you've got and make a video or write an article. You will be surprised at what you learn along the way.

What HM load do you usually run for matches? Do you have any experience the Hornady 110Gr bullets or Speer 125s? I'm contemplating shooting a couple HM matches this year but I'm still up in the air about 308 loads.

I have a number of differnet loads I like. The 125gr TNT doing 3000fps is extremely cool. Light recoil and accurate. I use this round without hessitation out to 400. Only draw back is that you need to use commercial brass to fit in enough powder and will start finding cracked casses after 2 reloads. Thus, this load is not recommended for M1A's. Sierra Match King 135's doing 2900fps are my overall favorites. Light recoil, fast, flat and extremely accurate. You can use use commercial or Nato brass (although I recommend sorting your brass). Only draw back is cost, so I try to save this ammo for RM3G. For general purpose shooting and practice, I have had good luck with Hornady 150gr FMJ doing 2700fps. Cost effective and fairly accurate. Sierra Match King 155gr doing 2650fps is a winner and very popular. Laser beam accurate as far as you can hope to shoot a 308 semi auto. The SMK 155 might be the most versatile 308 bullet out there. An honorable mention is the Nosler 155gr Custom Competition. I've not run a ton of them, but they seemed to shoot well and are cost effective. I run IMR XBR8208 almost exclusively in 308. Just my own observation, but 8208 and H4895 have just about the perfect burn rate for 16"-20" semi auto 308's. Both powders meter well, burn clean, efficient and very consistent.

I have a number of differnet loads I like. The 125gr TNT doing 3000fps is extremely cool. Light recoil and accurate. I use this round without hessitation out to 400. Only draw back is that you need to use commercial brass to fit in enough powder and will start finding cracked casses after 2 reloads. Thus, this load is not recommended for M1A's. Sierra Match King 135's doing 2900fps are my overall favorites. Light recoil, fast, flat and extremely accurate. You can use use commercial or Nato brass (although I recommend sorting your brass). Only draw back is cost, so I try to save this ammo for RM3G. For general purpose shooting and practice, I have had good luck with Hornady 150gr FMJ doing 2700fps. Cost effective and fairly accurate. Sierra Match King 155gr doing 2650fps is a winner and very popular. Laser beam accurate as far as you can hope to shoot a 308 semi auto. The SMK 155 might be the most versatile 308 bullet out there. An honorable mention is the Nosler 155gr Custom Competition. I've not run a ton of them, but they seemed to shoot well and are cost effective. I run IMR XBR8208 almost exclusively in 308. Just my own observation, but 8208 and H4895 have just about the perfect burn rate for 16"-20" semi auto 308's. Both powders meter well, burn clean, efficient and very consistent.

Great information here, sir. I'm about to start reloading in a few months while I slowly build up my equipment. Thank you for the head start on 308 concepts.

I am currently running the prototype Stretch 16, 308 with intermediate gas. They will be hitting the market soon. I won SMM3G and RM3G with it. You should check em out.

Edited by co-exprs

I am currently running the prototype Stretch 16, 308 with intermediate gas. They will be hitting the market soon. I won SMM3G and RM3G with it. You should check em out.

Oh my goodness, yes!! I agree. I'll be looking out for them. Hot damn!

Thank you for the information.

Would you mind sharing your "secret" recipe for the 135 SMK and H4895? I'm trying to work up a load with Varget and am struggling to get anywhere close to 2900 fps out of my 18" barrel. My 125 TNT match load with H4895 out of the same barrel comes in at 2950 fps (LC Brass and WLR primers). I am out of H4895! Thanks in advance.

Edited by Rookie

Oh my goodness, yes!! I agree. I'll be looking out for them. Hot damn!

Thank you for the information.

The Stretch16 in .308 should be ready soon. :)

Would you mind sharing your "secret" recipe for the 135 SMK and H4895? I'm trying to work up a load with Varget and am struggling to get anywhere close to 2900 fps out of my 18" barrel. My 125 TNT match load with H4895 out of the same barrel comes in at 2950 fps (LC Brass and WLR primers). I am out of H4895! Thanks in advance.

I run 45gr IMR8208 under the SMK135. I get between 2850 and 2900 depending on atmo. Varget is a terrific bolt gun powder, but it burns too slow for shorter semi auto barrels. You need a 22" barrel to really take advantage of the burn rate. It also doesn't meter well enough for progressive presses. Varget is also too expensive and hard to come by for serious 3 gun use. I've not actually run H4895 under 135gr bullets, but h4895 and IMR8208 are nearly interchangable and 8208 is easier to find.

Hi everyone. I'd like to address the changes mentioned above regarding Strong-Side Tactical and the Stretch 16 line of barrels.

Strong-Side has been under new ownership since September 15, however the previous owner is still very involved and will continue to work with Strong-Side Tactical going forward. Because of the huge success of the barrels, it made sense to have 2 separate companies. The barrel company is now known as Stretch Precision, which will produce and sell the Stretch 16 line of barrels, as well as some new products in the future. You will notice some changes to the Strong-Side website (completely functional, but undergoing visual/navigation changes) to make it easier on the eyes, as well as added products, videos and new vendors. Strong-Side Tactical will continue to carry ALL Stretch Precision products/SKUs without exception. Nothing else will change and our customer service reputation will continue to be top notch, which is our #1 priority. SST will also start to have a voice on the forum boards and social media, which will start right here (1st post). I planned to start with a presence on forum boards in a couple of weeks, but I felt compelled to clear the air here.

If anyone has concerns, I invite you to reach out to me. This is a very exciting time for both Strong-Side Tactical and Stretch Precision, stay tuned for more news and some big announcements.

Clayton

Strong-Side Tactical

• 4 weeks later...

I run Sierra 135 gr. match kings. I used to have an 18" JP, but now am shooting a 22" JP that I had turned down for weight reduction. I went to the longer barrel for velocity.

I started with LC brass and IMR 4895 at 45.5 grs. In the 18" I averaged 2650fps.

I changed to Varget and run 46.0 grs. behind the 135s in Winchester or Black Hills brass because they hold more powder than LC. I run Winchester primers. I average 2850 out of the longer barrel.

the 135s fly out past 600 with great accuracy and have lower felt recoil than the 155 gr. Palmas.

I use a Pact electronic scale/powder dispenser and trickle my loads up to 46.0 grs. I keep them to no more than 46.1. That is a 2/10ths variation and runs right up there with match factory ammo.

Now if we could just get this old man to be able to see and run again.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've been running a Benny Hill 308 with an 18" rifle length gas Criterion barrel, JP adj. gas block and Benny's 308 comp.

It still surprises me how well it handles and how accurate this setup is. My go to load is the 135 SMK, LC brass, 43.5 gr of 846(surplus ball)powder.

It is running right at 2800FPS and matches my Vortex Razor 1x6 holdovers just great out to 600yards.

If I miss it ain't the rifle.....................