Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Spur-less SAO hammer

Jay870

It's not really the mass of the hammer, but the hooks which make the real difference, the hammer you linked to is the best I've tried, and I've tried them all!

I'm not so much looking to improve the trigger as I am trying to avoid hammer bite.

I just have a lot of webbing there apparently. As long as I hit my grip it is not an issue, it tucks under the beavertail fine.

image.jpg1_zpsjgyea40q.jpg

When I miss my grip the web can stack up behind the beavertail and the recoil is enough to drive the beavertail back into it and let the hammer bite. You can see the raw spot in this pic. The bloody pic is from working on raw draw speed and thus not always hitting my grip just right. About 50 rounds into a 300 round session opened it up and it just got chewed up from there.

image.jpg2_zpsgmkfcipx.jpg

If you are not hitting your draw that many times, all you are doing is making bad habits. Slow down and get your draw right! work up slowly, make it right every time. Speed will come, but you only draw 1 time per stage. being able to draw fast(0.95), but running with a bad grip the hole stage is not going to be good as good as drawing(1.20) and having a good grip. Your fast draw is shot in the ass with the first D you shoot because of the bad grip.

Don't know what to tell you. Practice is the place to push and pushing can cause mistakes. I'd guess I did ~80 draws and 'missed' maybe 5 or 6. I'd argue that if you are hitting 100% that you aren't pushing hard enough. Plus that 'bad' grip is perfectly shoot able in terms of controlling the gun, it just hurts.

Anyway, this really isn't about the correct approach to practice. I am human, I will make mistakes, I'd prefer those mistakes not draw blood.

My biggest concern was that grinding off some of the loop would weaken the hammer and lead to cracking.

My biggest concern was that grinding off some of the loop would weaken the hammer and lead to cracking.

It might, but probably won't; I've sliced and diced some hammers and the only one I've cracked is really thin. Besides, if it cracks you'll have a reason to buy the badass one in the link ;)

It might, but probably won't; I've sliced and diced some hammers and the only one I've cracked is really thin. Besides, if it cracks you'll have a reason to buy the badass one in the link ;)

Thanks for the info. I suspected you may have chopped up a few :)