Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

NOOB Questions Part II

Did my first loads tonight with my 650.
My load is 135gr 8.5gr of Autocomp OAL 1.13

After setting everything up and running a few, I wound up with 12 loaded that 6.6gr of autocomp.
So here is the NOOB question....
Should I take out the disassemble hammer and take them apart?

Is 6.6gr close enough to just shoot them at the range to get rid of them?

Appreciate the help....
I am certain there will be plenty of my NOOB questions to come.
Thanks

No powder can throw that far apart on a Dillon. 2.3 grains is a huge discrepancy. Something else is wrong. You need to take apart the powder bar and see whats going on. I would just shoot them out, the time it takes to pull them versus 12 rounds downrange. How did you know it went down to 6.6 unless you weighed after loading?

Edited by 9x45

If you are weighing completed rounds,, stop. You are wasting time and effort. No 2 rounds are ever going to weigh the same, unless the brass was weighed before hand and it was close to the same weight. Weighing completed rounds cannot determine a double charge or a lack of charge as there is too much discrepancy between brass and the weight of the powder is minimal. Set your powder drop and trust it. Throw 10 charges and weigh them all at once and divide by 10 to get the average.

The reason for the discrepancy was multiple interruptions while setting it up, and I read the wrong load chart.
Since it was my first run as a new reloader and using this machine, I was being real careful and weighing the charge of every 3rd case.
If finally got tired of being interrupted....stopped took care of the issues that were causing the interruptions...cleared my mind,

came back and started from scratch, that is when I discovered I had set the powder bar to 6.6 and not 8.5.

Keep sending tips and ideas this way...... much appreciated.

You must learn to trust the machine. Set the powder drop and trust it. Trust, but verify at the start of each reloading session. When you take cases off the press to weigh the charge while loading is when bad things happen. As for those 12 rounds, I qould shoot them. If they are the same as what you posted in the other thread, overcrimped, you won't be able to re-use the bullet anyway, and the powder is minimal cost compared to the bullet head.

I just loaded up a bunch of 40 minor. I have some rounds that the primer is not flush with the case.
(pretty sure I know the problem, I have some slippage in my handle, fix tomorrow)

So with the complete rounds with high primers do I:

a ) Put them in a press and carefully press them all the way in? (yes I am aware on the 650 I would need to remove the powder funnel)

b ) Disassemble the components and start over

c ) Give them a motivational speech and encourage them that THEY CAN DO IT... and let them press themselves in. :)

d ) Other suggestions?

Thanks

Edited by DenverDave

Slippage on the handle?

I would guess that either that bench the press is mounted to is moving around on the up stroke of the handle, or you are just not completing the up stroke completely and firmly enough.

You can chuck them in station 2 and reseat them deeper. The only issue is if they are really proud they can be hard to get into the shell plate.

Many will say it's dangerous but I can see that's it's much more dangerous than seating a primer in the first place.

No reall need to remove the powder funnel. Just insert 1 round into s2. Push forward on the handle to seat. Return handle to neutral, remove round and insert the next one. No need to full cycle the press. They must be inserted by hand anyway so just put them in and out at s2.

Also make sure your primer punch is screwed into the platform nice and tight.

And go easy. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Off topic quick question.....
STORAGE of Powder and Primers.
I am looking at getting a metal lockable wall case for my powder.
I see in picture of ads and some post, people storing powder in the same cabinet with primers.
So the question is:

Is it OK (i.e. SAFE) to store Powder and Primers in the same cabinet?

(my initial thought is NO but if it is normal and OK...it saves me from buying 2 metal cabinets)

I see in picture of ads and some post, people storing powder in the same cabinet with primers.

So the question is:

(my initial thought is NO but if it is normal and OK...it saves me from buying 2 metal cabinets)

This thread is worth a read if you haven't:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=99675

So the question is:

Using a metal cabinet is OK, but male sure it can release pressure should something go wrong, such as a fire. I keep mine in a standard kitchen type cabinet without a lock.The doors are mildly spring loaded but would open easily if pressure ever became an issue. The point here is storing powder and primers in a sealed and locked metal container is like making a bomb.

Edited by Tom S.

About the underpowered rounds, since you should run the full power runs over a chrono anyway, you might consider running the underpowered rounds over it as well. If the guns cycles and the point of impact close, and they make minor, you may have the recipe for a nice steel load for you gun.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

ramairbrac,

Actually I have been working on some minor loads as a starting point getting back into reloading.
I am VERY pleased with the results I have been getting.

I still have to Chrono my test rounds, but here is what I can tell you. (but based off of math...they should make minor pf)
I took some rounds that I made in .40 minor - loaded them in my G35 and factory 115gr 9mm in my G34.
Put up two targets side by side, went back and forth 3 rounds out of each gun.

The .40 minor was quite a bit more softer shooting than the factory 9mm loads.