Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading as a lefty...?

Rudukai13

Look up Matt Griffin or Michael Danjczek...they are pretty swift at reloading left handed and each has a slight variation of the way they hold the gun while reaching for the moonclips. This appears to be the fastest way to reload the gun period. I am considering learning to shoot left handed for many reasons with this being one.

It does look faster left handed.

As I understand it you hit the release with your left thumb, I expect an extended release would be best. Then you push the cylinder open with your right thumb and put the thumb thru the frame window. Let go with your left hand and start reaching for a moon clip. Tip the gun up and hit the ejector rod with your right index finger. Grab moon with left hand and start bringing it to the gun. Tip the gun down and insert moon. Close cylinder with right hand and acquire shooting grip. Make boom booms. Repeat as necessary.

Definitely watch Matt Griffin, he has a couple youtube videos showing his reloads. Even JM has said that Matt's relaods are some of the fastest out there. Speaking of, I haven't seen or heard much from Matt in a while, has he stopped shooting revolver? He used to shoot some of the local matches around here, it was phenomenal to watch somebody as talented as him shooting.

• 2 weeks later...

It does look faster left handed.

As I understand it you hit the release with your left thumb, I expect an extended release would be best. Then you push the cylinder open with your right thumb and put the thumb thru the frame window. Let go with your left hand and start reaching for a moon clip. Tip the gun up and hit the ejector rod with your right index finger. Grab moon with left hand and start bringing it to the gun. Tip the gun down and insert moon. Close cylinder with right hand and acquire shooting grip. Make boom booms. Repeat as necessary.

That's how I reload. I'm no where near as fast as Matt, but I get by.

Pat, I do the same thing except I shoot a Ruger revolver and simply roll the side of my trigger finger into the release button, everything else is the same (except for the lack of speed).

I humbly submit two things to Ty's post. #1 You have huge hands. That gun looks like a snubnosed revolver. #2 The year that Matt came in second to Jerry was not a clean race IIRC. Be that as it may, Matt is a great shooter and I respect him.

Edited by Forrest Halley

Matt has finished an extremely close second to Jerry at Nationals not once, but twice. I was squadded with them both years. What's all this about "not a clean race"? Please explain.

Please make sure any insinuations/accusations are via PM.

I'd say a shooter using his influence to override the scoring call on the range of the RO because he was behind at the moment combined with the disaster of a reshoot makes for "not a clean race." I'm not making any accusations. You read it and you tell me what you think. Here's the link:

http://www.uspsa.org/front-sight-magazine-article.php?Lions-of-the-Wheel-2010-Revolver-Nationals-5

I was there. Paul Hyland's write-up was partially correct. Olhasso received a perfect double, and that call was protested--but it wasn't "the squad" who protested, it was one particular shooter.

That situation, while an interesting side note, did not affect the ultimate match results.

I was not there. I read the article in the magazine, read between the lines, filled in the blanks and was disgusted with the individual, who was my shooting idol. I gave him the benefit of the doubt and asked a prominent shooter who was there and my disgust was sadly renewed. I haven't sanded logos off my grips, but I do have a plan to have a couple of side plates re-engraved...

As to affecting the match results, one can never truly say that it did not. While the effect to the morale of each shooter affected by this call is not empirically quantifiable, you'd better believe one man knew better than to shoot another perfect double on that squad. To say it didn't affect the match is like denying the effect of a morale swing caused by a go ahead goal in the third period of game seven of the Stanley Cup finals or a red zone interception in the fourth quarter of the Super Bowl.

Sorry about all the affect vs. effect and I hope I got it all correct. Also, I believe that we have gotten far away from the original topic, so I'm done here. Apologies.

If you have smaller hands or an optic on the frame, you may have to place your thumb through the window and hold onto the cylinder. This is how my buddy Brian Crews does it. This method is not as fast, nor wise on 36 round stages without a glove on. The forcing cone can really scar good.

I was not there. I read the article in the magazine, read between the lines, filled in the blanks and was disgusted with the individual, who was my shooting idol. I gave him the benefit of the doubt and asked a prominent shooter who was there and my disgust was sadly renewed. I haven't sanded logos off my grips, but I do have a plan to have a couple of side plates re-engraved...

As to affecting the match results, one can never truly say that it did not. While the effect to the morale of each shooter affected by this call is not empirically quantifiable, you'd better believe one man knew better than to shoot another perfect double on that squad. To say it didn't affect the match is like denying the effect of a morale swing caused by a go ahead goal in the third period of game seven of the Stanley Cup finals or a red zone interception in the fourth quarter of the Super Bowl.

Sorry about all the affect vs. effect and I hope I got it all correct. Also, I believe that we have gotten far away from the original topic, so I'm done here. Apologies.

I share your disappointment with the shooter who contested another competitor's score--that is not something I have ever seen done, before or since. On the other hand, the other competitor--who knew he been given a freebie, although he certainly never asked for it--should have simply owned his miss and not signed an incorrect sheet. Frankly, there never should have been a reshoot of that stage, but ultimately it didn't really change anything.

We were talking about Matt Griffin. Matt was not involved in any of that little saga. I'm sure Matt would agree that we were not subjected to some sort of huge case of broken morale--we simply shrugged and moved on to the next stage. Furthermore, I am very confident that Matt would not have accepted a perfect double on a later stage--that's not how he would have wanted to "slay the white whale."

If you have smaller hands or an optic on the frame, you may have to place your thumb through the window and hold onto the cylinder. This is how my buddy Brian Crews does it. This method is not as fast, nor wise on 36 round stages without a glove on. The forcing cone can really scar good.

I'm right handed and I use a strong hand reload. I tape the middle finger on my weak hand so I don't burn myself on the forcing cone. They do get "spicy".