Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR15 Magazines

mpeltier

Last thread I could find regarding AR15 mags was a year and a half ago. Theres a lot of different manufacturers these days and I was wondering if Pmags are still the favored mag? (their still my favorite) What are you using now in 3-gun? If you changed from Pmags to something else, why?

I read a threat over on ar15.com started by battleground Vegas which is a machine gun rental range

He claims they're burning 100,000 rounds a month thru their m-4s and they use the brownells mags with the tan followers

He said they have used other brands and the brownells held up the best

Despite my collection, I do not consider myself an AR guy. I don't get to shoot them that often, but when I do, I have much prefered the Brownells mags, especially for .300 Blackout, which is especially bad in the PMag 40.

I read a threat over on ar15.com started by battleground Vegas which is a machine gun rental range

He claims they're burning 100,000 rounds a month thru their m-4s and they use the brownells mags with the tan followers

Thats interesting. I wonder if the range is just a stand and shoot affair or doing any tactical maneuvers in their day to day activities. where I work we employ hundreds of magazines. we used to use GI type aluminum mags, but due to the nature of our training (Tactical in nature) we experienced lots of issues from being dropped, stepped on and just generally abused. After making the change to P-mags many years ago, the issues have all but disappeared. We do have an occasional failure, but its far less common.

Edited by mpeltier

If I could only have one magazine, it would be a Lancer with the black body. Stainless mags, teflon coated next. Those are both more expensive, but they are also very durable. They avoid the feedlip issues with both aluminum and polymer. With enough rounds, both will deform and the PMags will eventually crack and or start to double feed here and there. Granted, after a huge amount of use. I consider the polymer and aluminum mags to be disposable items and I don't worry about it too much. The two main Pmag magazines I use in matches, I mark with an X at the end of the year and only use them for general range use after that.

For 300BO, 6.5PCC .450BM, etc. I prefer to use Stainless teflon coated magazines. The added internal dimensions are beneficial and they don't get dropped and stepped on much. I do have a feedlip tool and I tune them originally.

I use pmags. During this last 3 gun season I cracked the feedlips or the backside of 2pmags. I figure it had to do with dropping it or stepping on them.

From my experience, the polymers hold up better to dropping, stepping on, and general abuse over the aluminums.

Bottom line, mags are a disposable item, even if we live in a political climate where we need them to last forever.

Thats interesting. I wonder if the range is just a stand and shoot affair or doing any tactical maneuvers in their day to day activities. where I work we employ hundreds of magazines. we used to use GI type aluminum mags, but due to the nature of our training (Tactical in nature) we experienced lots of issues from being dropped, stepped on and just generally abused. After making the change to P-mags many years ago, the issues have all but disappeared. We do have an occasional failure, but its far less common.

I've never been there, but I'm guessing it's more of a stand and hose tourist range

here's the full thread

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/677135_High_round_count_AR_M4_s__over_100_000_rounds__and_how_they_have_handled_on_our_range.html