Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wet tumbling recipes

slavex

so in the many many threads I've seen on here I've seen many different recipes for wet tumbling. I'd like to start a thread where we focus on that and give reasons for our choices, if anyone else is interested in participating, that would be nice lol.

Tumbler- Frankford Arsenal Wet Tumbler

Soap- Tide laundry detergent 1/2 to 1 tablespoon

Other stuff - 1/4 teaspoon of LemiShine powder or Jet Dry liquid

Water - as hot as my tank will make it

5lbs of FA SS pins

about 5lbs of water

20 pounds of brass (around 1500 or so I think)

I use the laundry detergent because it foams up less and that makes rinsing faster for me. I used Jet Dry before I got Lemishine and found that it worked just as well, but is more expensive.

I typically run my tumbler for around 45 minutes and then spend maybe 10 minutes rinsing and shaking in a towel before throwing the brass into the oven to dry (or in front of the fireplace with a fan if it's on).

Brass comes out looking better than new

Edited by slavex

I use Dawn LemiShine and the hard water from the city water supply. I run from 1 to 3 hours. 7 pounds of pin and about 6 pounds of brass.

Rinse alot tumble in a towel put on a screen and put in the sun in the summer or the oven in the winter ( put the brass in the oven turn it on to 170 when the pre heat dings I turn it off and let the brass set for an hour or two).

I use Dawn and hot tap water only. I have a water softener. I've run them between 1 & 3 hours and haven't noticed an appreciable difference in cleanliness. Brass that has standard tarnish comes out super bright. Heavily tarnished brass is clean, but remains tarnished. I rinse with hot water; pour casings onto a towel and dry the exteriors; then place them in the sun for an hour or so depending on the weather. I'm in SoCal, so drying issues rarely occur. I tumble in walnut, then decap before wet tumbling - I'm somewhat OCD...

This has been talked about in a similar thread and someone was using Armor All (Wash and Wax I believe). I haven't tried it, or Lemishine, but will probably give it a shot to see how it compares to my current process, which is cheap and easy and cleans the brass plenty good enough for reloading, and likely overkill.

Dawn and hot water, separate in enclosed media separator which also removes most water and keeps from losing pins and shuffle back and forth in towel. This dries them enough that I can just leave them on the towel on the floor for an hour and they are totally dry.

Must deprime first for the above to work successfully !!!

Usually tumble for 4 hours or so as I've got a homemade tumbler that rotates slower than some others.

P1000288_zpsd13b58ef.jpg

When I use my homemade case lube I end up with a film on my brass. I end up having to dump the water and run them again to get them clean. I think I may be using a bit to much case lube but I have never had one get stuck in the die and there are no dents in the cases so I will keep it as is.

I use 9lbs of pins with about 500 cases with a pinch of lemishine and a cap full of dawn.

LemiShine and Dawn for me as well. I use COLD water and never saw an improvement using hot water. I tumble for 90 minutes and let stand over night then tumble 90 minutes the second day and never have a trace of crud in any nook or cranny. I always decap before tumbling. I use a tumble / crank media separator to separate the pins then dump on a towel to dry over night.

I'm going for simplicity in the process.

Latest try:

-About 12lbs of .40 brass, NOT deprimed

-NO pins

-Water to top of the hex in the drum (FA tumbler)

-Armor All Wash & Wax

-Sprinkle of Lemshine

-Air dry for about 36 hours.

The picture is two loads.

20150930_231537_zpszud3owiy.jpg

Edited by AJE

After a lot of error, this seems to be working so far:

Tumbler- Frankford Arsenal Wet Tumbler
Soap- 1 sec squirt of Dawn, 1 tsp LemiShine, 1 capful of TurtleWax Wash n Wax
Water - HOT
5lbs of FA SS pins
Water - fill to neck of tumbler
Brass - Fill a quart size jar of 45ACP. This puts the weight of the drum right at 29lbs.

I run the tumbler for 1.5 hour. Drain dirty water out, run water hose in tumbler to rinse brass and get dirty water out. Dump contents in RCBS media tumbler. Empty brass onto towel, take FA transfer magnet over brass to pick up any loose pins. Roll brass in towel like a bowling ball. Put brass in FA Dehydrator on max temp for 2 hrs. Brass comes out dry and looking like new.

Here's my process:

• No pins
  • 15# of 9mm brass (around 1800 cases), not deprimed
  • Water to the top of the brass
  • 15 squirts of Dawn
  • 15 9mm cases full of Lemishine
  • Cold water
  • 30 minute tumble
  • Cold water rinse
  • 10 minute soak in a bucket, hot water to the top of the brass, 15 9mm cases of Lemishine (helps keep brass from tarnishing for a long time)
  • Drain (no rinse) and towel dry
  • 1 hour in the food dehydrator

I used to do the whole shebang with pins and decapped brass, but I ain't got time for that.

Also, having dirty case interiors really does help the brass not stick to the powder die. I used to think it was an old wives' tale, but now I'm a believer.

Edited by FTDMFR

15 lbs of ss pins

Add brass till 5 gal bucket is half full (my homemade tumbler uses a 5 gal bucket for the bin)

45 case full of lemishine

12 squirts of gain hand soap

I then separate with some old mesh trash cans from the dollar store

Then brass goes into those mesh bags for delicate laundry and those are placed in cheap cookie pans to collect excess water

Turn the bags over a couple times on your way by and you have dry brass in 48 hours probably less really