Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How can I possibly miss that bad?

JayDee

Shot the local steel challenge match this weekend. It was a little rough getting warmed up since I hadn't shot in a couple weeks. I was just starting to get into a rhythm and was doing OK with transitions and nailing all the closer plates. For some reason, I just kept missing all the long shots. No matter how I tried to focus on the front sight, slowly press the trigger, follow through, I just went to war with a couple longer shots on two different stages. I was starting to wonder how I could be missing so badly.

Then someone on the squad mentioned that I was shooting consistently left. Ok, I thought, time to check my sights. Sure enough, the rear sight had drifted wayyyyy off to one side.

Usually I have a bunch of tools in my kit and a few extra parts. Today I went light and left most of the important stuff on my bench at home. Luckily, someone else had the right size wrench to get my back in the match.

Note to self…. always bring some thread locker and ALL the little allen wrenches, metric and imperial.

It was actually a new 9mm top end for my CZ Tac Sport. Had only shot it once before….. the sight was semi-tight in the dovetail, needed to be tapped back to center. It seemed to be rattling left a minute amount with each shot before I caught it.

The Dawson adjustable rear on mine got a sliding pivot pin when I shot the IDPA world shoot last week. It was a disaster even though I punched the pin hole into a blossom to prevent the pin from totally sliding out, because as the pin slides left and right in the hole, the rear goes up and down during recoil. 7-yard heads, 6 shots I missed (all high) 4.

Lessons learned: stick to fixed sight whenever possible, & when in doubt, use backup gun and don't rely on half-assed fixes.

that's why I have fixed rear sights on my Shadow .... control the things you can. Fixed sights never move - ever ... :)

Any sight can move if it's not fitted properly(tight). I.e. The early M&P Pro. It had a set screw which is just a crutch for crappy fit and finish. Loosen that screw and the sight slid right off of mine.

that's why I have fixed rear sights on my Shadow .... control the things you can. Fixed sights never move - ever ... :)

Any sight can move if it's not fitted properly(tight). I.e. The early M&P Pro. It had a set screw which is just a crutch for crappy fit and finish. Loosen that screw and the sight slid right off of mine.

At least the stock fixed Novak on MP has a set screw. The Dawson adjustable does not even have a set screw. Their videos asked to use Loctite red retaining to lock it in place.

Drive the pin out, take it to hardware store and get a roll pin, Go home and drive it in. Should stay in place and will keep the sight leaf from moving because it will fit tightly in the leaf where the solid pin evidently does not.