Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cost of 9mm bullets

sophiasmith

I am a new USPSA shooter shooting a 9mm in open major. I recently purchased 8,000 bullets from Montana Bullet online that a friend of mine was going to load for me. When I visited the site, I initially looked at increments of 100 and 500 and was informed prior to placing the order via popup that the bullets came in 1,000 increments as well at a lower price. So I ordered 8 1,000 packages. I was charged 1,016, and came to find that the bullets were offered in a 4,000 increment as well at an even lower price.

I immediately called Montana Bullet and asked them to adjust my costs. I said I was more than happy to pay the shipping cost differential of $16 a box, which amounted to $32. They gave me a very, very hard time saying I could send the bullets back and pay an exorbitant re-shelfing fee, blah, blah, blah; and then only after speaking to a more forceful male voice, did they finally agree to refunding me half of the $286 difference. They said that they paid $26. an hour to have someone box the bullets and couldn't afford to refund me the full amount. Hmmm.....

First off, being a new shooter (and a woman shooter........ not that many of us out there) and with hopes that more new shooters would take the sport up, I would think maybe they would be a bit more forgiving.

Was I wrong to raise a stink? If it were in any other market, I feel I would have received a full refund immediately. Was this fair??

I don't like that attitude, I think they should be more accommodating. After all - they are not the only game in town, so I am surprised at such hard nose attitude - and I have been their customer for many years.

Do I understand you correctly, that you contacted them BEFORE the bullets were even shipped? That makes their action actually ridiculous.

They should be aware of that old saying: you can shave a sheep many times, but only skin it once.

Are you talking about Montana Gold Bullet or Montana Bullet Works?

If they come shipped in 1,000 increments (and not 4,000), they have a valid point. Also, if this is Montana Gold, you can clearly see on their site they offer 100, 500, 1,000 and 4,000 count 115g 9mm.

She contacted them IMMEDIATELY...probably before the order was started to be processed. We need to be encouraging new shooters to join our sport. One of the ways I do that is telling them stories of AMAZING customer service I have received by many vendors that we all frequent. I know they probably have more business than they can handle, but that's not the point. We are talking about a couple-hundred $ difference. ..don't tell me the cost of a few extra boxes justifies their actions.

I will be sharing this story with every reloader I know and giving PD my jacketed bullet business from now on. The only advantage MG had is the availability of CMJ bullets, but I'm sure my friends playing in open can make something else work!

Edited by Desmo412

She contacted them IMMEDIATELY...probably before the order was started to be processed. We need to be encouraging new shooters to join our sport. One of the ways I do that is telling them stories of AMAZING customer service I have received by many vendors that we all frequent. I know they probably have more business than they can handle, but that's not the point.

I will be sharing this story with every reloader I know and giving PD my jacketed bullet business from now on. The only advantage MG had is the availability of CMJ bullets, but I'm sure my friends playing in open can make something else work!

But, she doesn't say how long it takes from the time she ordered to the time she realized they came in 4,000 increments. It wasn't until she discovered the 4,000 increments that she called IMMEDIATELY.

Before we throw this company under the bus, let's be sure we understand better what happened and even then, remember we only have one side of the story here. It is amazing how often on the Internet I see a person claim how wronged they were by a company, it goes on for many posts and then the other side pops up and tells their side of the story and it paints a different picture.

I agree a customer should be handled respectfully but I have also learned that "the customer isn't always right".

I am sorry if I misled anyone. I received the bullets expeditiously from Montana Gold Bullets. The day they were received, the gentleman that was loading them for me informed me that they were also sold in a 4,000 increment. I phoned them within an hour. AND no, there were popups for the 500 and 1,000 increments, but not the 4,000 at that time at least.

They said I could send them back at a cost to me of $16 a box shipping fee; and they would charge me a reshelving fee and repackage them in two boxes with 4000 bullets in each box and then send them back to me. That didn't seem to make sense to me.

That's why I am asking is this common in this industry??

I am a 56-year-old woman and have dealt with many vendors over the years. I owned a retail store of my own at one time. And I have never run into anything like this. I understand reshelving fees; I understand delivery costs. BUT this didn't make sense.

They said I could send them back at a cost to me of $16 a box shipping fee; and they would charge me a reshelving fee and repackage them in two boxes with 4000 bullets in each box and then send them back to me. That didn't seem to make sense to me.

That's why I am asking is this common in this industry??

I am a 56-year-old woman and have dealt with many vendors over the years. I owned a retail store of my own at one time. And I have never run into anything like this. I understand reshelving fees; I understand delivery costs. BUT this didn't make sense.

Look at it this way: You got exactly what you ordered. If you were running a company, and someone ordered 8 1k count bags of something from you, and you sent that 8 1k count bags, and called you and said, what I really wanted was 2 4k count bags cause tbey are cheaper, what would you do?

I also want to remind everyone of the forum rules.

Brian's Forums is not the place to resolve customer service issues or disputes you may have with a manufacturer, dealer, gunsmith, or individual.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

Thanks for the clarifications. I honestly think that if they delivered exactly what you ordered in a timely manner, you really shouldn't have an issue with the company because they did exactly what you asked of them. If you look at their website, they clearly list the various quantities of every 9mm they sell including 4,000 count.

http://montanagoldbullet.com/index.php/catalogsearch/result/index/?limit=all&q=9mm

I suppose when they see an order of 4 units or more of 1,000 count, they could reach out and ask every customer if that is what they really want before they ship or would they prefer a 4,000 count unit at a lower cost. But that would probably be a real pain for the vendor and potentially delay shipping and a customer could then complain that they didn't ship their order promptly (and the vendor could say they were waiting to hear back from the buyer).

I didn't request that they reach out to me. I called them immediately and requested that they adjust my bill since I ordered 8,000 bullets. They were all delivered to me, to the same address at the same time. Apparently this IS the way this industry works. That was my question. I will be very wary next time I place an order with anyone having to do with this industry.

And to answer your question, had I received a request like that, I would've adjusted the customers bill immediately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Montana Gold is a solid company with a great reputation among shooters. Not to mention they are great sponsors and supporters of USPSA.There is plenty of info on the website about case pricing so I think it should be a lesson learned .

They should not have assumed anything by your order. For all they knew you had a reason for ordering the way you did. I don't think it's their job to call every customer and verify the order. I would have responded the same way they did.