Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single stack maj or min?

kevinm

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in Indiana and was wondering about our SS champion and top finishers this year? What did he/she shoot...min or maj?

as mentioned previously, EVERYONE shoots major at nationals, because the stages are specifically designed to reward major pf more and allow fewer options to use the extra 2 rounds.

some of those people shoot minor at most other matches.

Hello: I think it depends on the type of matches you are shooting. Local matches maybe a minor setup will work better because of the 10 round magazines. That may give you less standing reloads but again minor scoring so hit those "A's". For a state match again it will depend on the stages and how they are setup. Nationals I would say major since they are setting up the stages for 8 rounds arrays. I think the best minor placing at Nationals was 6th place one year. I am going to try the minor route locally for a while till I finish my 40 major top end. Recoil is a factor to consider as well, for short close stages, minor may be the way to go. The 10 round mag will help here also. Next question will be 40 or 45 for major. Thanks, Eric

I must be one of the few who shoots .38 Super for minor...brass is expensive, sure, but I figured I get to take advantage of all the development work that the pioneers of this sport put into making .38 Super the go-to cartridge that it was for so many years. That and I get to use CMC ten round mags that still work just fine. That I'm shooting them out of a high polish railed Taurus with gold accents (they made some GAUDY guns didn't they?) usually gets a few comments but it does help to be able to use the Production and L-10 COF tactics sometimes. Currently shooting the old .45 since that's what other guys in the division shoot locally and I'm supposed to be putting a new barrel in the Taurus.

Hello: I shot a local match yesterday, the first match in 6 years for me shooting single stack. I shot minor 9mm with my new gun. I messed up two stages but ended up 4th out of 12 single stack shooters. I am a "B" in single stack and was beaten by two guys shooting major and one shooting minor who can run a lot faster than me. This has me rethinking minor. Typically one less reload, less recoil, only 30 less points in this match and cheaper to reload. Going to shoot it in a couple of more matches and see how it goes. I will then try it again shooting major 40 or 45. We have some really good production shooters here so I can judge off of their scores to see how major or minor stacks up. Thanks, Eric

Hello: I shot a local match yesterday, the first match in 6 years for me shooting single stack. I shot minor 9mm with my new gun. I messed up two stages but ended up 4th out of 12 single stack shooters. I am a "B" in single stack and was beaten by two guys shooting major and one shooting minor who can run a lot faster than me. This has me rethinking minor. Typically one less reload, less recoil, only 30 less points in this match and cheaper to reload. Going to shoot it in a couple of more matches and see how it goes. I will then try it again shooting major 40 or 45. We have some really good production shooters here so I can judge off of their scores to see how major or minor stacks up. Thanks, Eric

that's pretty much what I've done. I also have a few very consistent SS shooters (who all shoot major) to compare against. It really depends a lot on stages, but I've found most stages out here favor minor slightly. It seems to be pretty common to have a position that requires 8 rounds but 4-6 of them are on small poppers or a plate rack or something similar that really increases the chances of having to make one up. It also seems to be pretty common that I can find a place to go out to 10 rounds and skip a reload. Also, I know from analyzing my own shooting that I tend to hit more alphas than most people of my skill level, so minor doesn't hurt as bad.

Lots of stuff to consider, but it is definitely an individual choice. For me it works out that minor is *slightly* better at best, but significantly more consistent. One or two standing reloads in a match costs as much as a bunch of charlies.