Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Firing pin block

SISIG

Well, as I understand it, the gun would be illegal for USPSA production division.

Don't think you can disable any safeties.

I keep waiting for someone at a chrono station to start checking this.

(And it's also one of the reasons I stick with the Gen 3 firing pin, which functions as it should in my guns.)

Well, as I understand it, the gun would be illegal for USPSA production division.

(And it's also one of the reasons I stick with the Gen 3 firing pin, which functions as it should in my guns.)

I'm going back to Gen 3, do you have the stock or extended FPB?

My $.02, I don't feel comfortable without a firing pin block. Worst case scenario would be dropping the gun or it falling from the holster and it firing with serious consequences. The way I understand it, the fpb stops the firing pin from moving forward and striking the primer without the trigger being pulled. I like that safety feature.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I have no problem without a fpb. Every 2011 on the range doesn't have one. Cz shadows, tactical sports and czechmates don't have them. My Eric custom had one but I've removed it for reliability reasons. It's too easy for it to create just enough drag that you get a light strike. In matches where 1 or 2 points is the difference between winning or not I don't want a dragging fpb costing me time.

My pistol is only ever loaded while I'm using it or waiting for the beep. At that point the manual safety is enough. I'd say in limited and open 90%+ guns don't have a fpb.

I have no problem without a fpb. Every 2011 on the range doesn't have one. Cz shadows, tactical sports and czechmates don't have them. My Eric custom had one but I've removed it for reliability reasons. It's too easy for it to create just enough drag that you get a light strike. In matches where 1 or 2 points is the difference between winning or not I don't want a dragging fpb costing me time.

My pistol is only ever loaded while I'm using it or waiting for the beep. At that point the manual safety is enough. I'd say in limited and open 90%+ guns don't have a fpb.

If it weren't against the rules for production (in regards to disabling it), I'd be happy to go without one.

Edited by tbarker13

They checked safety, weight, size and mag length at Area 8 over the weekend. I shot Limited division but my buddy's 12yr old son had an out of the box CZ 75B with aluminum grips as the only part modification and it went over weight according specs in NROI. Held up the whole stage. CZ submitted the wrong spec.

My $.02, I don't feel comfortable without a firing pin block. Worst case scenario would be dropping the gun or it falling from the holster and it firing with serious consequences. The way I understand it, the fpb stops the firing pin from moving forward and striking the primer without the trigger being pulled. I like that safety feature.

The design of the Tanfoglio firing pin block makes it borderline useless. It's a passive block, meaning it's normally disengaged. The sear engages it when it drops down into the hammer notch, so if the sear slips out of that notch it will disengage. I wrote a thread on it here somewhere

The design of the Tanfoglio firing pin block makes it borderline useless. It's a passive block, meaning it's normally disengaged. The sear engages it when it drops down into the hammer notch, so if the sear slips out of that notch it will disengage. I wrote a thread on it here somewhere
I think it serves a purpose when the safety is engaged and lifts sear and block to prevent the firing pin from moving forward. I guess it is possible for the hammer hook to release from sear if the gun dropped or gets caught by clothing or gear during draw.

I think it serves a purpose when the safety is engaged and lifts sear and block to prevent the firing pin from moving forward. I guess it is possible for the hammer hook to release from sear if the gun dropped or gets caught by clothing or gear during draw.

And if not tuned properly it can cause LPS by FP getting caught by the FPB

• 2 months later...

I've never found one. All I do is when doing a field strip/clean I pop off the firing pin retaining plate and take out firing pin (and spring) and just give a blast in there with brake cleaner. Seems to work just fine. :)

I use a .22 bore brush and a nylon 9mm bore brush to get that area clean. Amazing how much filth gets in there

• 1 month later...

Does anyone make a plug to fill the FPB hole?

Just thinking of keeping the blow back junk off the firing pin.

I'm all ears when someone has a solution to this. One of my limited tanfoglios uses the egw sear, and therefore cannot use the FPB. I find myself cleaning the channel once to twice a month.

• 2 months later...

I'm all ears when someone has a solution to this. One of my limited tanfoglios uses the egw sear, and therefore cannot use the FPB. I find myself cleaning the channel once to twice a month.
I'd like to see this too. Maybe a partial FPB that is too short to interfere but looks like it should for internal inspection...?

What kid of powder are you using? I clean mine once a year (every 5-8k rounds)

I use Titegroup... pretty dirty powder. I don't necessarily have to clean it that often, but if I have it apart.. I might as well. It really isn't that much work.

I use Titegroup... pretty dirty powder. I don't necessarily have to clean it that often, but if I have it apart.. I might as well. It really isn't that much work.

In addition to that, I go through roughly 14-15k rounds a year with my competition equipment.

• 4 weeks later...

I was at a match somewhere where they locked it open and flipped it over to look at the bottom of the slide and make sure it is installed, but still did not check it for function.

Basic function test: with the hammer back in single action, press on the firing pin with a punch. It should not go forward. Hold the hammer back, pin the trigger to the rear, and repeat. FP should go forward.

As mentioned, this interface needs to be correct with your pin and block, and if it isn't, you will have some contact/dragging that will peen a spot on the pin and can cause light strikes. My UNDERSTANDING i that Henning pins are designed to work with the stock FPB, and Extreme pins are supposed to work with the extreme/extended block.

If your hammer falls without pulling the trigger, your half-cock notch on the hammer should save it. The FPB is a little redundant in that respect.

If you are in Limited or Open and remove it (I have removed it from my Limited), I don't see any need to plug the hole. All the dirt in the FP channel is coming from the front, either the pin hole in the breech face or around the extractor. I've gone thousands of rounds without cleaning it, and even then the FPB itself, and the back part of the firing pin are still spotless.