Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Problems with welded lifter Versamax

dkynoch

I had Crums weld a lifter for my Versamax and I have had some malfunctions ever since. The shell seems to push to the extractor slot side and gets hung up. I talked to Jeff and he said to bevel the extractor slot side of the chamber mouth.

I did this and it has helped, the shotgun doesn't have near the number of jams as before but it still has a shell that hangs up going into the chamber sometimes. I have beveled the chamber as much as I dare. I don't want to got to far and have shells bulge out to the point that the extractor won't hold them any more, and I don't want to run expensive shells with a heavier base.

I don't want this to be a dig at crums I know they do good work. I just wanted to see if anyone had any ideas on how to fix it. It never malfunctioned with the stock lifter.

Thanks

Edited by dkynoch

You should only need to break the edge of the extractor cut - I do it with a stone. If the edge does not feel sharp after you worked on it, then it could be something else. What shells are you running? Some cheaper shells are not very uniform in the crimp area, and can catch the extractor cut more readily. I've always had good luck with Federal WalMart bulk packs in my VMs.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

Hmmm - mine all eat B&P slugs with gusto. Can you feel a razor sharp edge on the extractor cut? If not, the carrier may be slightly imperfect, allowing the shell to drift slightly to the right. Contact Jeff and see if he can recommend any dimensional checks or even replace the one you got. Your other option is to extend the slot forward so the tip of the shell is guided towards the chamber for longer in the cycle.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

• 1 month later...

I had the same problem with a welded lifter in my FN SLP. Never had problems before it was welded.

I played with it with no success, until I re-cut a smaller half moon in the front of the lifter, much smaller than the original cut. once I had some way to locate shotgun shell the problem stopped. Look at the lifter on the Beretta 1301, the half moon on the front of the lifter is 1/3 the size of all the other shotguns. I never touched the lifter except to clean it on my Beretta.

• 2 weeks later...

I've heard that many "lifter troubles" could be caused by a weak lifter spring, but are attributed to welding. I've also heard that Remington lifter springs are very marginal to start with. Wish I could remember where I heard this, and it could be all false, just throwing it out there so you all spend more money on springs. :)