Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR bolt lock up.

Novie

I have an AR 15 chambered in 204 Ruger. If it sits in safe for more than two weeks without the bolt being operated it locks up. I have cleaned the bolt, upper and barrel extension with Hoppes, Shooters Choice and Breakfree all with the same results. I have three other AR's and have never had an issue with any of them. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Can not retract the bolt carrier without a lot of force, then remove the bcg and the bolt will rotate only with difficulty. I have removed the bolt and cleaned everything same as my other AR's. Still does it.

Also does not retract.. do you mean at all? Assuming the bolt in in battery, does the hangup start "from the begining" and you can't retract the carrier at all, or is there any movement before it binds up?

Hang up starts at beginning and the carrier does not move, after you pull on it very hard it seams to break loose and then can be retracted. At this point it will work for a short time. No issues if you go shoot and leave dirty, only if cleaned and put into safe. Should I be cleaning bolt with some other chemical? I lube with Mobile 5W 30 oil before storage. As I said, this is the way I clean and lube by two other AR's with no issues on them.

I would say Bill was probably right with his advise. What happens if you leave the bolt and bolt carrier out of the gun for the same period? Assemble the bolt and bolt carrier, clean/lube as per usual, collapse the bolt in the bolt carrier and store for the same length of time. If the bolt doesn't want to move in the carrier after that, I would check if one of them is out of spec, actually you could check that first.

• 2 weeks later...

Cleaned rifle and left bolt carrier group out of gun for a week. No issues with lockup. All dimensions checked out. Put BCG back into rifle, locked up in two days. Found the bolt is locking up in the barrel extension. Lubed the bolt locking lugs with Slide Glide, no more issues. Just not enough lube in the correct spots. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

I would still be concerned because even a totally dry rifle should allow the bolt to cam and retract. I put a little lube on the rear of my bolt lugs as a matter of practice but it shouldn't be so tight that it locks up when you are pulling on the charging handle.

I think you may have an issue with either your bolt or your barrel extension.

Had no issues until I used alcohol to kill barrel cleaning chemicals like bolt shooters do. After lubing bolt well with 5W-20 mobile 1 and locking lugs with slide guide, no issues. Moral of story, No more alcohol in AR rifles, only in shooter.