Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

BCM KMR or Ap Customs Ultra light

Aimtrue0531

I am looking for a good light weight hangaurd and these are the two that I am going between for my new 3gun build. I am concerned that the BCM will get too hot to handle due to its low profile. I do like the price of the Ap customs though. Suggestions, thoughts?

What were you using before? Did your old handguard get too hot to handle and if so, during what kind of stages?

I ask because handguard heat seems to be a recurring topic, but in the past 3 seasons of 3gun I've personally only experienced an "issue" with my handguard getting too hot to handle one time, and it was mostly because I was missing targets...a whole lot of them :blush: .

I am using the run what you got methodology right now, which is working just fine but I am looking to build something dedicated for 3 gun. Mostly because i want to build a lighter weight, softer shooting rifle and with (maybe false) hopes that it will improve my game. Currently I am using my LWRCI M6IC and have found that to run warm in a few conditions, never really one particular stage.

My buddy shoots a similar LWRC and every time I handle it I think that it would be great for 3gun! Congrats- they're beauties.

I've shot neither, but if I were facing the same choice, I'd choose the AP just for weight alone. When I burned my hand I had little keymod shaped scars on the inside of my support palm. I think radiant heat off the barrel is a bigger issue than the actual mass of the handguard heating. Carbon fiber should come up to burning temp less quickly if the situation arose, so +1 for the AP.

My buddy shoots a similar LWRC and every time I handle it I think that it would be great for 3gun! Congrats- they're beauties.

I've shot neither, but if I were facing the same choice, I'd choose the AP just for weight alone. When I burned my hand I had little keymod shaped scars on the inside of my support palm. I think radiant heat off the barrel is a bigger issue than the actual mass of the handguard heating. Carbon fiber should come up to burning temp less quickly if the situation arose, so +1 for the AP.

Not saying one is better than the other but Just for the record:

The AP is not lighter. In 15" length it's 15+ ozs. while the KMR is 8.1 ozs including the mounting hardware :cheers:

I shoot the KMR.

Does it get hot after allot of rounds, Yes, but not any more than any other.

The small diameter can be an issue for some gas blocks. That is a legitimate issue, but not a bit deal and easily overcome.

Really like the small dia, especially handy when shooting through ports, holes, etc.

Super light and installs cleanly too.

The AP is not lighter. In 15" length it's 15+ ozs. while the KMR is 8.1 ozs including the mounting hardware :cheers:

Where are you getting 15+ oz for the AP? It's more like 6oz.

Thank you guys for all you input. I have been leaning towards the KMR for a while but thought I should keep my options open before committing. I figure I could always put on some key mod covers if I find it to get too hot. I think thats the way I am going to go, despite the highest price tag :angry2:

I'm guessing the packaged weight.. Is 14.7oz, actual is 8.2oz.

My bad.

I looked at the packaged weight. Actual weight is 8.2 oz. on their website so they weigh about the same although it doesn't say if that includes the mounting hardware on the AP.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I ran a AP for the last two seasons and I didnt really like the way the tube was connected to the barrel nut adapter. I had some issues with the tube coming off center, because the three torx screws couldnt hold the carbon fiber tube tight enough.

I have the APC 15" tube on my setup with a VDI 16.5" rifle length gas barrel and the heat is not really an issue with the handguard. We do a local carbine only match (like 3-gun without 3 guns, or uspsa with rifles) so the stages tend to have fast, high round counts. On one grueling hoser stage, i must have expended 50 or so rounds and the heat (or lack thereof) on the handguard is fine. The gas tube is the part that heats up the quickest and retains the most heat at first and so if you put your hand over one of the slots on the handguard that is directly over the gas tube, you WILL feel the intense heat radiating through the slot, but the carbon fiber itself is cool to the touch. Its the worst up by the chamber.

I ran a AP for the last two seasons and I didnt really like the way the tube was connected to the barrel nut adapter. I had some issues with the tube coming off center, because the three torx screws couldnt hold the carbon fiber tube tight enough.

That's the Generation 1 attachment that I have. And I've given it a skeptical eye for the same reasons. Sometimes I wonder how (or if) it moves under recoil.

I have not seen how Gen 2 works, but I think it uses a different barrel nut from mil-spec. In the end, it seems that nearly everyone uses a different nut from mil-space for robust free-float hand guards